Reaction score
Guild Total
Just for fun.

GuildInTheSun_1600.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great photo! Should we be guessing what that is? Bluesbird, I'd say...

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great photo! Should we be guessing what that is? Bluesbird, I'd say...

walrus

Good eye. It's the red Bluesbird. I was out trying to capture the flame in the sun. Didn't work as well as I'd like:

GuildRedBluesbirdGrass.jpg

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure the sun is the best way to capture the flame, it's not usually the best way to shoot anything, not saying you can't see it but probably not nearly as well as you can.

I'd find a little shady corner somewhere, and when you see the flame really well with your eye, hold the camera (it's a camera?) up to where your eye is to get what you're seeing, or at least come close. Usually the guitar is in a vertical position to see bookmatching well, but not always.

Anybody here have "The Beauty of the Burst" book, or into photographing guitars much?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not sure the sun is the best way to capture the flame, it's not usually the best way to shoot anything, not saying you can't see it but probably not nearly as well as you can.

I'd find a little shady corner somewhere, and when you see the flame really well with your eye, hold the camera (it's a camera?) up to where your eye is to get what you're seeing, or at least come close. Usually the guitar is in a vertical position to see bookmatching well, but not always.

Anybody here have "The Beauty of the Burst" book, or into photographing guitars much?

I know a little bit about catching flame in the sun.

2011-R9-800.jpg

It's the angle and/or polarization of light that brings out the flame. Here's the same guitar with two different light sources:

_B0Z2021_800.jpg

_B0Z2022_800.jpg

If you put a guitar on the ground in the sunlight then walk around the guitar you'll see the flame come and go. Certain finishes let the flame shine through, and certain finishes don't.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow, that LP has a great top! That lawn shot really brings out the edge flame, where it's harder to see. Looks like setting sun?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, maybe you need to mow a bit but I like the shadows on the top!! GREAT photos, GAD!! Thanks for sharing those!! That red one is just too beautiful!!
:encouragement: