Mason Proffit Anybody????

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So, my friend and I played a 2 hour gig last night on a riverboat going down the Au Sable river here in Michigan. We played quite a few I wrote and a lot of covers as well.

I went to school at Wisconsin and a group played there often. They were called Mason Proffit and they, the Dead and John Prine were are favorites. Man, what a party when any of them came to town. One of the Mason Proffit songs was called Two Hangmen and it's a really good tune. That was one of the songs that the folks we played to last night seemed to like the most.

I'm just curious, did any of you out there follow Mason profit and were you fans as well? Seems like a lot of people I talk to where I live now had never really heard of them.

Just curious I guess.

pete6273

Reaction score
Mason Proffit were one of my favorite groups way back when. Lots of nice songs. One of my favorite memories was a concert at Coe College in Cedar Rapids, Ia. They were based out of Chicago I believe but John Talbot lived around the Iowa City area for several years I have been told.

NEONMOONY

Reaction score
Wow, that jarred some old memories. I had forgot completely about Mason Proffit. They were based out of Chicago and enjoyed primarily Midwest regional. KSHE in St. Louis gave them extensive airplay and named Two Hangmen on their list of all time list of best songs. Some bands that would become really big opened for them at their peak.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I love Mason Profitt. I especially liked the lyrics to Old Joe Clark. The tunes "Buffalo" and "Flying Arrow" are wonderful. So yes, I've been familiar with and even managed to play a couple of their tunes.

Cypress Knee

Reaction score
I have had Mason Proffit material on my playlist since the '70's.

It seems that with the rush to judgement and condemnation on various social media platforms today that "Two Hangmen" is more relevant than ever before.

CK

tjmangum

Reaction score
I grew up in the Chicago area during this time and know the name well, but don't have any recall of their songs. Time to head to Youtube!