NGD: NS S-200 Thunderbird

kakerlak

Reaction score
Depending on the particular HB-1 you could end up with a brighter bridge pickup after doing this.
-Dave-

QS, there's nothing wrong with a bright bridge pickup! Oh, and I always dime the treble knob on my Super Reverb. Set that sucker at about 2-4-10 (Bass/Middle/Treble)...

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Oh, for sure (brighter bridge pickup)! I love me some high-end clarity & bite. Just wanted to note that if you're looking for less of that an HB-1 won't necessarily give it to you.

-Dave-

kakerlak

Reaction score
Oh, for sure (brighter bridge pickup)! I love me some high-end clarity & bite. Just wanted to note that if you're looking for less of that an HB-1 won't necessarily give it to you.

-Dave-

I'm just giving you the business, Chief.

Zelja

Reaction score
Depending on the particular HB-1 you could end up with a brighter bridge pickup after doing this. At least if the p'ups in my S-100s are representative of the '70s norm and my T-bird's p'ups are typical of current manufacture. Compared to the HB-1s in my S-100s, at same amp settings (Vox Pacemaker & newer AC-4, Fender Princeton, Hi-Tone 50) the LB-1s are darker. Not by much but enough to make me turn the amps' treble pots up a hair to compensate. The HB-1s do have more midrange oomph, though, if that's your main goal.

I wouldn't sell the LB-1 bridge pickup short. The one in my T-bird has more cut-through power than I'd expected. Works excellently with mid-rich amps like the Voxes and big(ger) bass OD pedals like the Visual Sound Open Road.

-Dave-
You know you may be right! I compared my '72 S-100 with my SFV & the S-100 does seem brighter. Now I suspect that part of that could be solid vs semi-hollow construction of the guitars and also pickup heights/setup etc. Might have to try putting the mini-hum into the S-100 & hearing the difference!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Might have to try putting the mini-hum into the S-100 & hearing the difference!

'Twould be interesting. To my ears the LB-1 bridge pickup likes being close to the strings.

My Bluesbird is noticeably dipped in the mids compared to the T-bird. Some of this may be due to the old "anti-hum" pickups relative to the new ones but I bet the hollow body plays a big part too.

-Dave-