Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Loving my Starfire...

My NS Starfire I is my favorite bass.

Quote Originally Posted by lungimsam View Post
    Thanks mavuser,

I don't like signature editions. I couldn't remove the Byrds inlay on the 12th fret. But it may come to that if , for instance, Guild ends the bass line and I know there will be absolutely no chance of a sunburst anymore. Of course, they only made 70 of them, so that might make it tough to get one.

I asked Ren on the Guild blog. So we will see what they say if they do another installment of the AskRen thing. I also mentioned elongating the low E slot for better intonation.
    Well i dont see them ending the NS line of basses or guitars anytime soon, and they have already made the Hillman, so the possibility of a sunburst NS SF bass in the near future is not so off the charts. can only wonder why they havnt done it full blast yet, with them being so popular.

I am actually going to be selling one from 1967, if you are interested. of course it will be quite a bit more expensive than a NS model though.

Thanks for the kind offer. I am sure a '67 would be way out of my price range.
    But I prefer new instruments.
    I think they only made 70 Hillmans.
    They are maple bodies. If it wasn't for the Byrds inlay I probably would have bought one.
    Maybe they will do a standard I or II burst soon.

When I first got my SF-I, I had been playing an MIJ Mustang RI and a couple of SX shorties. The SF body felt too wide and it took me awhile to get my amp EQ dialed in and the Bi-Sonic pole pieces adjusted to my liking. After that was sorted out and I'd been playing it for awhile, though, something just "clicked". Now, whenever I pick it up, it just feels like "home". It's become my "go to" bass.

I like playing the Starfire better, too, at this point. I love my Pbass, but it feels too big for me both in weight, length, and scale length. But it is a fantastic bass.

Update:
    Well I have been playing a Jazz neck on my Precision Flower bass for the last month now. 75% better. But the long scale is still tough for me so I think I will only buy shorties from here on out if I have a choice. Still waiting for a maple sunburst Starfire (Starburst?) to come out. Ho hum. I'm hopefully going to try out the new Mustang PJ bass tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Update:
    Well I have been playing a Jazz neck on my Precision Flower bass for the last month now. 75% better. But the long scale is still tough for me so I think I will only buy shorties from here on out if I have a choice. Still waiting for a maple sunburst Starfire (Starburst?) to come out. Ho hum. I'm hopefully going to try out the new Mustang PJ bass tomorrow.
    FWIW, I too could not handle a long scale Precision neck. After avoiding long scales for decades I played a Pilot and that neck works for me. But the Pilot is still not my "go to" bass. If you feel like experimenting you might look for a Guild JS bass. Short scale, solid body and Guild. You will almost certainly want to swap pickups because the stock Guild humbuckers are nothing like the Bisonics or something in the PJ family.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

A while back I waved in a Fender Performer bass. They were made for two years in the 1980s. Ultra-thin long-scale bass. Thinner neck than on a SF or JS Guild.

Do a web search if curious.

Very comfortable to play.

I put flats on mine because it sounded way too zingy with rounds. It has a good fender sound but when I asked a recording engineer if he'd prefer the Fender or my M-85, he asked me to use the Guild, saying It gives me more to work with."

Also, the neck thru body neck makes it such a breeze to play above the 15th fret that I can't see buying any more basses with bolt-ons.
    Sorry to be nit picker, but the bass has a "set neck". For some reason it really perturbs me when people refer to a "set neck" as a "neck through".

This is a "neck through":

It has body wings mounted to either side of the neck.

(I am on a crusade to correct the internet!)

And though you walk through a sea of ignorance, yea, verily, it shall be so.....
    1964 D40
    1966 F30 NT