1988 D50 Westerly

Reaction score
I have the chance to buy a 1988 D50 from the Westerly RI factory. What is the prevailing opinion on this site as to the quality of that era of instrument, especially for that model from that shop? Thanks! It looks like a good value, has 3/32 action with no need for a neck reset and plenty of nut.

Expertise is appreciated, thanks again.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have that same model from that same year also from Westerly. I've owned several D 50's over the years and have never had a bad one, period. I've got mine out there for sale right now not because I'm unhappy with the guitar in any way, just because I've bought a lot lately and now it's time to pay the bills. I'll be buying another one down the road for sure. Many here will not agree with me but I prefer the D 50 tonally to the D 55. It's brash, in your face and it has a really big voice.

Good luck, and I hope you score!!!!

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
One of my two or three best sounding Guilds -- and I have more than a dozen -- is a Westerly D50.

Likewise with my D-50, my singing partner likes it best of my Guild sixes, and it's even from about the same era.