Last Night's Gig

Neal

Reaction score
Played my first Friday night gig in a local bar last night, accompanied by an old friend and good player on lead guitar and mandolin.

First set, I played a lot of songs in open-tuning on the D-212. Man, those 12 strings really ring out in open tuning, and combined with the 8 strings of his mandolin, there were 20 strings total involved in the tone, from the highest highs to the lowest lows. Very cool! I even played slide on the 12-string a bit, which is like gasoline on the fire!

Since my friend's '60's Martin D-18 has a broken pickup, he played my F-47R, and was so impressed with it that I loaned it to him for the next few weeks while I am on vacation.

For the rest of the show, I alternated between the big jumbo F-50, and a square-neck dobro. At one point, we were playing dobro and mandolin, which is an interesting tonal combination.

Lots of fun, and made $120 to split!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dang, I'd like to be back in Charlottesville one day... left in '73, still remember the heat, and the humidity, and the friendliness... I miss Virginia, always will.

Good job on getting out playing, it's work, but it's rewarding in many ways. It's good for the soul.

;-)

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Man, those 12 strings really ring out in open tuning, and combined with the 8 strings of his mandolin, there were 20 strings total involved in the tone....

Haha, would have loved to be there.

Neal

Reaction score
Sure thing, guitarslinger. Just getting my "act" together at the age of 58. Should have started younger.

Lots to learn about performing live music. It is way different than playing on my couch!

My biggest repeated mistake so far? I forgot to bring a fan to two performances in a row. In Virginia, in the summer, a huge blunder.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, good on you Neal. I think it's terrific you're going out and doing that at any age. If you weren't so darned far away I'd be there to hear ya for sure. Keep on doin' it my man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!