Mild Reverb Rant... fixing up my 6/12 Doubleneck, Gibson content! ;-)

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So... I'm working on "that other guitar" that I shouldn't have bought... Hmmm... a great way to keep from doing the things you're actually supposed to do, ha...

It's the doubleneck I mentioned in a post last night (F30 fingerboard cleaning thread), not at liberty to divulge full details yet, but let's just say that I played it (when not tuning, and retuning...) for a small crowd on Tuesday to test a PA system, and I gotta tell you, wow...

It seemed people were mesmerized, I was playing strictly on the 12 string neck, but in the "middle neck position", which causes a mild "ghosting" effect from the other neck, which is not being played. My son in law was there, and (he's quite the musician), and I could he was transfixed, and this may be the most attention I've ever gotten from him while playing an instrument.

If you've ever heard this before, and I never knew this before buying one, this is got to be one of the strangest and coolest things I've ever heard, has that "ethereal" x10 quality... "otherworldly" might be a more apt description.

Watch this video, halfway through he talks about it plays it like that, starting at 4:30. The whole video is pretty cool. Let me just say at this point that the guitar I picked up is NOT a recent Epiphone, but it is wired the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd9ONbMFtOg

Warning, only watch the next video if you really need it confirmed that a cheap Chinese guitar through a cheap Chinese amp really does sound awful as I've always suspected...

Anyway, now that I've stopped gushing (you've got to remember it was this 12 string kick that brought me to LTGuild in the first place), the guitar itself is a bit of a project, somebody's already done some way cool stuff to it (all four pickups are actual Gibson, a pair of '57 Classics on the 12 string side, and a 496/500T on the 6 sting (;-) side.

Not only those two pickups are too much for me, but they overpower the '57 Classics (16kΩ vs 8kΩ, you do the math) in that weird ghost limbo mode, meaning that you have to modulate the volume levels between the necks when you do this, I have to cut the 6 string side down to get the balance I want.

To be fair, the 496 is only 8kΩ, and I've had some extremely sweet ones before, and I like ceramics pickups, wow... there, I said it, I actually like the damn things, they smoke for hard rock and metal! But... I don't like them in this guitar, in conjunction with the 57 Classics, they don't work well. Because... the 12 string side sounds sooooo damn pretty, the '57 Classics sound warm and beautiful, and when you switch to the other side, it is so much more sparse sounding, and the p'ups are harsh, it's a horrible contrast, it doesn't work for me.

So, I've known this since I first plugged it in a week ago, and I'm just now getting to looking for a pair of pickups to put in it, and appropriate pair of pickups, open coils, black, no zebras or anything like that (but maybe?) and so I finally remembered to look on eBay for p'ups... and I gotta tell you; eBay ain't what it use to be, period.

I'm sure all you guys that have been on for ten or more years know that... and I didn't see much, go figure. Ten years ago, you could have made a good living buying pickups on eBay at bargain prices, and selling them on eBay for their real prices, I did it all the time. The market was nuts, lotsa vintage Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio pickups, gobs of Gibson p'ups (some outa Nashville, I swear Gibson employees were high grading them and sticking them on eBay, whatever it was, I loved it.

So this morning, I did manage to find a couple pairs that fit the bill, although nothing by the way of the BIN instant gratification, so... I had my second good idea of the day, LOOK ON REVERB!!!

So I go look on Reverb, you've heard the stories... "things are cheaper on Reverb cause the fees are less", I mean hell, it's a musician's dreamscape, all those cool articles, and videos , and you can buy gear to boot, at better prices than eBay, right?

Well, I got to preface this by saying that the double neck also NEEDS 18 new tuners, not necessarily brand new, it just needs all the tuners replaced, and after much hands on research, I decided to go with Grovers, because they are the only ones that will work on the 12 string side, spacing issues, etc, beside, I like Grovers, and since my 12 string buying kick kicked in I now have the '85 Hondo Fame 760/12 (12 chrome mini Grovers) '87 Washburn Japan (12 Gold mini Grovers), the Guild (12 chrome mini Grovers), and now this one will have 12 chrome mini Grovers also. That's a mess o little Grovers there!

Long story short, after a few days research I bought the tuners I needed on eBay, Reverb was a waste of time, hardly anything there, and the prices NOT EVEN COMPARABLE!

I bought two sets of nice older with patina sets of the 6 string Grovers, already have one set on the guitar, quite aged looking actually and it fantastic mechanical condition, and I'm waiting for the other set in the mail from BC (Canada), they should be here anyday. Both sets were very reasonable to stupid cheap (my price!), one set was $20 shipped BIN (I did say stupid cheap). Same set on Reverb, $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172251469849?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I'm sorry, but people like deals, and you know how it is, "vote with your wallet"...

I got the 12 string tuners brand new from an outfit in Tejas which was gracious enough to give me a little discount to reflect one of their previous sold set, $70 shipped, really a good deal ;-) And when they get here, I can put the guitar back together, I'm tellin you man, THAT DOG DOES HUNT!

Same set on the Verb, pffffftttt... I'm to poor to overpay for stuff, sorry Reverb, keep the great articles comin tho ;-)

This will actually finish my Reverb rant ;-) So I went a lookin on that there Reeevurb for some o them Gibson p'ups and what did I see, lookin only at used?

One set of '57 Classics for $250, USED, and another set for $195, USED, and that's when I said, Whoa Nellie, "hit the backbutton", nuthin here to see folks, and now I'm here writing about it, because it NEEDS TO BE SAID. Deals on Reverb?

What deals?

Maybe that's when it started out, and I have been thinking about selling there instead of eBay, but I was actually involved with someone at Reverb R&D for a while, I don't remember his name... sniff... ;-( He never writes, he never calls... I contacted someone on the R&D department about how to improve the site, and how to compete with eBay, and maybe even be equal with eBay, at least in presentation, prices be damned that isn't something you can control anyway...

And the guy took all of my suggestions, and filed them, "in the round file", and guess what, REverb still sucks, and the stupid page still looks like I wandered into Gbase by accident... sometimes more like Craigslist actually... Ouch.

I had a few suggestions (simple suggestions) that I'm sure would have made them all millionaires ;-), and there was zero interest, but they did ask me if I'd like to write articles there and contribute, which would have been fun, but I don't need to do that, I already waste plenty of time on the computer without it becoming a requirement.

All I wanted was a rewarding, pleasurable experience while looking at gear on the site, and to this day I can barely stand it, the presentation, the picture quality, the amount of information in the ads are all dismal.

Guess what Reverb? This is a GREAT WAY TO KEEP ME FROM BUYING ANYTHING!!! I need to FALL IN LOVE WITH THAT GUITAR/OR ITEM WHILE READING THE AD, IF THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN, FOR WHATEVER REASON, BAD PICS, POOR DESCRIPTION, WHATEVER, I'M GONE!

Consequently, I've never bought a guitar on Reverb, and I may never, and I have bought FOUR off of eBay in the last that many months.

But when couple this lack of gratification with prices double what you see on eBay?

Not a winning combination I'm afraid.

If there's interest, I could start a thread on the double neck, it would belong here as much as anywhere else on the net, and whoever is graced with it's presence will be rather unique among web pages, as it maybe the only one on the net covering that instrument, so that is a big deal, and right now, this place is kind of like home to me, for guitars, which just happen to be a pretty severe obsession this year. Started with a vintage Dobro, and then moved on to 12 strings from there, played in open D, already up to four different 12 strings, not including my minty one owner little old lady owned 1966 Harmony Sunburst, what a slide guitar that is, sweet tone!.

Maybe a page about a vintage weird but very yummy double neck would be good here, discussing double necks in general is very interesting to me right now, it's an interesting topic among guitar topics for sure, and I'd like to hear feedback from y'all on it, experiences, ownerships etc with these cool unusual and versatile instruments.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Bring on the weird, I for one love weird guitars. And you have some interesting comments on reverb.
Thanks John

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't shop anymore myself but I've seen several comments that Reverb sellers at least seem to be very willing to "negotiate".
And yeah we love weird stuff around here, always thirsty for new "content", and "Miscellaneous" is as good a place as "Other Gear" for it.
You might have gathered we ain't real sticklers for "keeping in the right forum" or "staying on topic" .
Seems to be one of the reasons so many folks think we're so much more fun than some of those "Buzz Kill" forums.
:biggrin-new:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I guess I don't have the same downer feelings towards Reverb. I both buy and sell on both Ebay and Reverb. I've never bought just componentry on either site so I can't comment on that. My preference as a seller is Reverb because their fees are about 1/3 of the Ebay fees and on a pricey guitar that can run into some big bucks. As a buyer, I don't much care if it's Reverb or Ebay. I'm just looking for the best deal wherever that might be.

I believe prices are for the most part at least comparable on Reverb as on Ebay (at least for guitars) and in many cases less. I know when I list something on both Ebay and Reverb my Reverb pricing is typically lower because the fees are lower. In all fairness, things tend to sell faster on Ebay than they do on Reverb.

One thing I do prefer about Reverb is that when I've either had to ask them a question via telephone or via their on-line chat option I can actually talk to a person who understands gear and what I'm talking about. The folks on Ebay, while typically quite helpful, usually don't have a clue.

Anyway, I think there's room for both Reverb and Ebay on the planet. They each have their strengths and weaknesses but I like having more than one option when it comes to either buying or selling.

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
I think you just broke the record for the longest single post on LTG. i almost have to wonder if we're talking about the same Reverb. I have found several good deals on there and have always made an offer on something I thought was too high. If they said no I just moved on. No biggie

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think you just broke the record for the longest single post on LTG. i almost have to wonder if we're talking about the same Reverb. I have found several good deals on there and have always made an offer on something I thought was too high. If they said no I just moved on. No biggie
+1!! Record BROKEN!! :frog:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
+1!! Record BROKEN!! :frog:
'm gonna have to do sumthin' 'bout that.
If it's true.
Coupla my historical perspective posts come to mind.
(insert sinister humor emoticon here, accompanied by mad scientist's laughter)

Last edited:

guildman63

Reaction score
Reverb isn't perfect, but I for one much prefer it to eBay. Reverb has much better customer support. As for prices, if you overpay for anything on Reverb you have failed to negotiate properly. Also, listing items for sale is infinitely easier on Reverb. I'm sorry you spent so much time on your initial post, but I disagree with all of it.

gilded

Reaction score
You didn't like the '57 Classic prices on Reverb, correct? $250 for a pair was too much?

New ones at SweetWater and MF are 150 a piece, right? Without a cover $140 at Sam Ash. At Gibson over $160.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes, very mild rant ;-)

But, I think the "record is unbroken", for my first post on the site, and quite possibly a subsequent one had to be posted in two parts to get around the 10,000 character limit ;-)

I think the big draw for me, and alway has been, is that there are plenty of yard and estate "sailors" who sell on eBay without a clue, and that can really mean some deals, whereas Reverb is mostly musicians and trades people, and they know what stuff is worth, and then some in some cases...

I hadn't checked new prices on p'ups, that doesn't really matter to me, I've always been tuned into the used market, and I can tell be looking at eBay that things (in the real world of actual sales) haven't changed that much. You can get a really nice set of two for just over $100, sometimes a little less and I'm working on a set like that right now, probably the most desirable set I saw on the Bay, and it looks like the guy will do a side deal, I just asked him if he would do a BIN, and he gave me his email address... I'm guessin it's just about a done deal.

Conversely, I do see that the top price paid for a brand new set of '57 Classics on eBay was right around $230 shipped, that's new. And yes, the $250 price I saw on the Verb, is way out of touch with used p'ups prices. The other set I was looking at on eBay was around $130 for a pair of Burstbuckers with nickel covers on them. Nicely aged covers, easily worth $50 for the pair if I didn't need them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-57-C...490914?hash=item41aacdd722:g:FPgAAOSwG-1WwNjr

However, I've never had a guitar where new pickups wouldn't have looked out of place anyway, I like stuff that looks like it's been around the block a couple times, and I'm a stickler for vintage correctness.

I would actually pay more for the right set that are used than new, but luckily I don't have to.

I've only bought one thing on Reverb so far, a pickguard for that D4, an NOS Guild guard a guy posted, and I have to tell you, not impressed... I don't know how or when or if he ever sent it, but it's on a slow boat, that's for sure...

That's one thing I like about eBay, the feedback is kind of a big deal, mine is 2311 100% positive, and I've worked my @ss off for it.

Do sellers on Reverb even have feedback?

I don't see it. I just clicked on a $7000 guitar, and I don't see any feedback on the seller, just a number of stars and a number that looks like it could be a feedback number. I clicked on it, and it was a rating and reviews for the instrument he's selling.

Is there a way to look up completed prices on Reverb?

So, I'm starting to realize we're really talking apples and oranges here.

One site is just instruments and gear, the other is for everything but is a very well established and well traveled format in which the buyer has the ability to look a recent prices and a would be seller's performance record, and... unfortunately for Reverb, looks like the deals are still on eBay, not as many as there use to be, but there is still deals out there, and that's part of the fun is looking for them.

I don't have a thing against negotiating with the seller, but I usually just walk away from ludicrous prices because life is too short for nonsense...

In the last couple month's guitar quest, I've emailed two Reverb sellers about a price on a guitar, including one with a very decent cash offer on a Guild acoustic, which was turned down flat without any counteroffer other than a short note saying "I don't really need to sell it that bad", and the other seller never even said boo back.

Your mileage may vary...

Last edited:

NEONMOONY

Reaction score
While I do appreciate, and utilize, those ebay tools, that has not prevented me from finding deals in other places that do not provide those specifics, e.g., craigslist, garage sales, another musician and even reverb. Even those completed sale tools do not work if a similar item hasn't sold recently. I think reverb has caused more ebay ads to have a "make an offer" button, in part, because you will find some items are for sale on ebay, reverb and even craigslist.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've been a pretty active Ebay buyer and seller over the last 15 years or so. I find it to be more than a coincidence that EBay's Final Value Fee has typically never gone down until it became apparent to them (and all of us) that Reverb has become a major player in the gear buying/selling business and that their selling fee is just over 3% vs. the Ebay 10%. So what did Ebay do??? They've now run several promotional offers that allowed you to sell at 3.5% final value fee and recently they even allowed one listing with zero selling fees. They offer that to random Ebay members but I've gotten the offer twice and have taken advantage of it both times. It's a good deal and makes selling much more affordable on Ebay. So, all I can say is thank you Reverb!!!! I'm a fan and appreciate completion in the buying/selling business.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have found that whenever I offer my opinion as a customer to a business as genuinely and sincerely constructive criticism it is politely received and ignored. Most of the time it is because the person I am dealing with has no investment in improvements - they don't get paid any more, it's not their responsibility, they couldn't do anything even if they wanted, yada, yada yada.

As a buyer making a choice between Reverb and eBay I have taken the time to learn how they differ and which one to look at first. Sometimes I go to Lowes, sometimes I go to Home Depot and sometimes I am surprised because one has a better deal than I expected compared to the other. But I'm not sure that would be noteworthy enough to post about unless there were bazillion posts saying that washers were always cheaper at Lowes and I just bought a washer at Home Depot for $100 less than Lowes and with free delivery. Perhaps a selective reading of LTG might give the impression that LTG is a collection of Reverb Fanboys and eBay haters but that is not my impression after reading most posts.

And to veer, does anyone even use GBase any more?

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thx guys for all the input.

You know how these rants are, it's just a little pet peeve kind of a thing, it just boils over a little sometimes, and it's good to vent, and thx to LTG for providing me with that avenue ;-)

The reason I'm soooo emotionally invested is because I've spent over 10 years of my life wheeling and dealing on eBay, and like many other, cI have grown to hate it for a variety of reasons I won't go into here... like charging the sellers a 10% fee on the shipping cost "to help keep the price of shipping down" is eBay stance. Sellers can't leave anything but good feedback on a miserable transaction such as one where a gal in NYC bought an expensive vintage film camera from me, dropped it, broke it, and sent it back for a full refund, but kept the brand new battery out of it (I mean really?), and eBay refunded her in full "it's just the cost of doing business" they told me "it's like having someone come in to your store and shoplift" they told me, "it's part of doing business".

Ok, so where am I going with this?

For years, I wished and prayed for a viable alternative to eBay, which has never really happened yet, but I had really high hopes for Reverb, and they never materialized for me.

When Reverb started, eBay gear sales were quite poor, and I really considered putting my gear for sale on there, but I didn't feel that the format, especially the photo hosting or lack thereof isn't something I can do to my ads.

That is why I contacted their R&D dept and got in a conversation with someone there.

Pics are a big deal for me, I'm very photo oriented, I have a two year degree in Commercial Photography (1995-1997 President's Honor Roll for six consecutive semesters), and as anyone who's in advertising knows, photography is practically everything to an successful ad.

As it stands right now, a Hello Kitty guitar on Craiglist enjoys the same small pop up window with L and R arrows to help you toggle through pics as a $10,000 guitar on Reverb. I'm sorry, but that doesn't work for me.

I use Fototime as a hosting program, and I can put gorgeous pics of my stuff on eBay, pics that blow up full screen and that is why I just recently sold a guitar for $1600 that I bought on CL for $200, after a little restoration work.

The reason why I will not use Reverb is that my pics won't come thru the way I want them to, the presentation is not adequate, and when you're trying to entice someone to pay really top dollar for something, the presentation is that important.

In the meantime, I've browsed Reverb many times to see if they have something I can't find on eBay, and unfortunately, and even after as many people have ditched eBay in favor of Reverb, there is a lot more stuff on eBay, in fact a lot of the best stuff and the best deals are still on eBay.

When I was researching tuners the other day, there are pages and pages on eBay, and hardly any on Reverb, so I pretty quickly went back to eBay to keep browsing and make a few purchases, and of course from there I can buy more AA Eneloop rechargeable batteries, get great deals on a bulk pack of kitchen sponges, Benadryl because I gave all mine away to my neighbor who was stung twelve times in the face and neck by his bees the other day (they got under his hood), antique kitchen gadgets, parts for my Power Wagons, WWI and WWII collectibles, it's basically endless...

And at that point, between all the things I can find on eBay, or evilBay as some like to call it, there is very little or no need to go on Reverb for anything, therefore I am a very poor customer of theirs, and not even much of a proponent.

However, I really do like the articles, videos, etc. I mean, it's a very cool site for musicians, but unfortunately hasn't been very conducive to my shopping there.

Ok... so what do I need to buy today?

;-)

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I stick with Reverb these days mainly because I want to limit my exposure to lotsa stuff I'd otherwise be tempted to get. :) For the same reason I visit only one (fairly) local bricks & mortar music shop. I'm also picky about who I buy from on Reverb. Anyone showing any hint of problematic behavior, whether via experience or reputation…on the no-fly zone list they go.

-Dave-

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
In answer to the Gbase question, I have basically forgotten all about Gbase, but I did have the most miserable experience there a few years back...

I bought an undervalued early 90's Les Paul Classic on Gbase, from Buffalo Bros in Riverside CA, and it came in the mail, smashing guitar, I did a few of my tweaks to it, added aged nickel covers, plain TR cover, took a few great pics and sold it on eBay for $1000 more than I paid for it.

The LP sold to a friend of Bon Jovi who lived just north of the Canadian border, and he actually bought several other things at the same time, other humbucker sets, it was a pretty huge sale, $3500 total.

About a week after the guitar sold, a guy contacted me, says it's his guitar that's been stolen from his church (just 5 miles away from Buffalo Bros), and wants me to talk to a detective at the Riverside Police Dept and has a case #, Gulp!

So I contacted the detective, the whole story stunk to high heaven, and the guy was super attached to his guitar, he was the original owner... and his church refused to let their insurance cover it "because it was his own personal property"... and I tell you I really felt for the guy, because these early Classics are total GEMS!

Here's a pic I still keep in my Fototime just as a reminder... Aye mate, she was a Beaut, as Steve Irwin would have said, RIP Steve ;-)

large.jpg

Let's just say it had to rate as one of the most nightmarish transactions I've ever been involved in.

The buyer refused to part with the guitar and said let them come up here to Canada to get it if they want it that bad...

Buffalo Bros wanted nothing to do with the problem and said flat out they would not refund me for the guitar.

The Buffalo Bros ad for the LP on Gbase actually had very nice pics of the guitar, all except for the serial number, "no pics of serial numbers to prevent fraud" they said, how handy and twisted is that...

I just got a really sour taste about Gbase after that, and can live a full happy life without ever going there again ;-)

Last edited: