Mild Reverb Rant... fixing up my 6/12 Doubleneck, Gibson content! ;-)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
You know how these rants are, it's just a little pet peeve kind of a thing, it just boils over a little sometimes, and it's good to vent, and thx to LTG for providing me with that avenue ;-)

So I look at your rant a little differently now when you note that Reverb does not allow you to use photos in the way you would like. That actually raises this from a "rant" to a "constructive and valid criticism". :)

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes, Reverb will not let me display my photographs in a way that I feel they need to be displayed in order to make a buyer fall in love with the guitar, or whatever it is, and that is their mistake. I'm not going to jump back to the year 2006 (or before) as far as my ability to present an instrument.

The seller could have been Reverb on the PG, to be honest, I haven't gone to the page where I bought it to see, but I though it was a music store somewhere?

It was for a Jumbo anyway, so I was looking at either modifying it, or possibly using it as is but since I have the material from Hans, at this point it's not that big a deal, just a minor annoyance and a blemish on Reverb's account, regardless of who's responsible. From what I hear from other buyers, it does not represent Reverb the way it is most of the time, nor did I think it did.

A comment on Amazon Fulfillment... not something that's done a lot for me either, fairly mixed bag with Amazon. If they can beat somebody's price on a book or whatnot, I'll buy there, otherwise I stay away from it, although I do enjoy the customer reviews, sometimes very informative. Read reviews on Amazon, and then go buy it on eBay for a better price from a seller that actually understands the value of answering emails and shipping in a timely fashion...

I'm not going to screw around with this, I've filed a complaint with PPal, basically alerting them that I haven't received anything. If it's a seller that's one thing, and maybe he can't even find the pickguard to sent it, these things happen, but communication is nice...

If it is indeed Reverb, and ten days has passed without so much as an email to let me know it shipped, preferably with USPS tracking info, then they seriously need to get their poop together...

PPal won't screw around with a case like this for very long. While eBay's customer service is [mostly] truly a wretched thing (I don't think I had delved into that subject before, hmmmm... let's not go there ;-), but PPal on the other hand, not the case. Very good customer service, the person answering the phone actually speaks fluent English...

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
While eBay's customer service is [mostly] truly a wretched thing (I don't think I had delved into that subject before, hmmmm... let's not go there ;-), but PPal on the other hand, not the case. Very good customer service, the person answering the phone actually speaks fluent English...

I've actually had very good luck and response with both Ebay and PayPal Customer Service but I do agree PayPal seems to be a bit better. I think both tend to look out more for the buyer than the seller and that's fine when I'm the buyer. Personally, I'd like to see both be just as supportive and concerned with the seller as they typically are with the buyer. Of course, I could be wrong but that's been my personal experience this far.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd like to see both be just as supportive and concerned with the seller as they typically are with the buyer.
That's been brought up here before and basically I agree with you, but, I think what's really driving all these for profit service providers (online storefronts for sellers, and Paypal) is:
Knowing which side their bread is buttered on.
I'd hazard that overall, internet buyers easily outnumber sellers by a factor of at least hundreds if not thousands to one.
So, if the sellers can't exist (and pay their fees) without the buyers,and the buyers are the ones who actually generate sales, whose side are you going to tend to err in favor of, in disputes?
So if a service provider gets a rep of being unresponsive to buyer complaints, I could see a genuine risk of alienating enough buyers that income from fees will shrink.
It tends to make the questions of whether sellers are unscrupulous and have the upper hand, and are making a profit from very low overhead by not having brick and mortar shops, and are better able to absorb the fees as a "Cost of doing business", irrelevant.
HOWEVER, to tell a seller that they should be prepared to accept fraudulent returns as a cost of doing business similar to shoplifting, is simply rancid.
I say bravo to Reverb for forcing eBay to re-adjust their fee structures.
Another thing that comes to mind is eBAy's 10% fee on shipping costs.
I got a sneaking suspicion that's in violation of some obscure FTC rules about freight tariffs.
Wouldn't surprise me to see it come up as a federal injunction soon.
Let a thousand flowers bloom.

Last edited: