John Mellencamp’s Guild

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
John Mellencamp’s Guild

The Wall Street Journal occasionally publishes interviews with songwriters/performers to discuss an iconic or influential song. They talked to Grace Slick about "White Rabbit" recently.

John Mellencamp’s "Small Town" is discussed here.

A photo from 1985 used to illustrate the article shows (surprise, surprise) a Guild. Sadly a more recent photo of Mellencamp performing features a Martin.

BN-OO751_MELLEN_J_20160621115940.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice guitar. Solid maple body, snakehead G-shield headstock, diamond fretboard inlays...

Anyone know the model?

GF-65, maybe? That's a guess. Or is it a JF-65 with custom fretboard inlays?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Based on the specs in Beesley's book, it looks like a GF-60M.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

tommym

Reaction score
Yeah, that's a F44. The GF's have smaller diamond inlays on the fretboard, and Grover tuners / buttons.

Tommy

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a F44. The GF's have smaller diamond inlays on the fretboard, and Grover tuners / buttons.
Thank You Sir! I was kinda wondering why Hans said "looks like" when he's usually much more explicit, like saying "is an F44" but figured maybe he needed the guitar in hand to be sure.

tommym

Reaction score
Thank You Sir! I was kinda wondering why Hans said "looks like" when he's usually much more explicit, like saying "is an F44" but figured maybe he needed the guitar in hand to be sure.

Probably because Hans knows something I don't.......:boxing:

I had both a GF60 Maple and an F44 Maple, and those were the differences that I remember. I still have the F44.

Tommy

tommym

Reaction score
Just called a friend of mine to have him check out his GF60, and he tells me that his doesn't have the Grover tuners / buttons, but the same ones that I have on my older F44; the repro Kluson waffleback tuners. So Hans is right! Seems there was no clean break in the specs / hardware between the guitars series. A Guild tradition! :congratulatory:

Tommy

geoguy

Reaction score
Looks like a different Guild on a stand in the background of Mr. Mellencamp's art studio, in this clip: