Anybody following the "Stairway to Heaven" trial?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
guitarists "borrow" licks from each other all the time.

To veer, I remember listening to Bless Its Pointed Little Head when it first came out and being shocked, SHOCKED!!!! I tell you, when Jorma played the exact same phrase/riff in solos in two different songs. Of course he was borrowing from himself but....

And we were probably misreading each other if you think I disagreed with you. If the suit had merit now then it had merit in the 1970's and should have been filed then. I can list the excuses why it wasn't filed then but sometimes You Snooze, You Lose and there is no going back. We are only having this discussion because quirks in copyright laws allowed LZ to extend the copyright with the reissue but also reopened the window for infringement claims. In fact I could argue that the real problem is that a remaster of an existing work has a different, but related, copyright status compared to the original.

I think I'll go shut up and play my bass :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
What my pal Eric said! And I'll add to that, if I never hear "Stairway to Heaven" again, it'll be just fine with me.

I have a live version on my iPod - Page has some great guitar playing on it - agreed that the studio version is wearing thin, even for a huge Zeppelin fan - it was simply overplayed in my youth...

walrus

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
You do not go after Hillary Clinton, and you do not go after Led Zeppelin. Every lawyer knows that...

"You don't tug on superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off that old lone ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim"