Newbie with a B-301 project

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this forum. I got a B-301 from a local guy. I traded him Harley parts for it. He was the original owner. According to him, in 1980 or so he had it on a stand and a girlfriend knocked it over causing the neck to break off. He was able to get a new unserialized neck from Guild at the time. He had a local luthier set it. Anyway, he then "customized" it with active P/J EMG's and a new pick guard and played it for 30 years. I don't like the sound. I'm a passive guy by nature and it is too muddled sounding for me.

I also broke the neck off a couple months ago when it fell out of my cheap guitar stand after I turned my back. A woodworking friend is fixing it for me and filled the original bridge holes with mahogany plugs and is blending it (the original owner put a badass bridge on there). I want to go back to a single pickup and a passive wiring. I've seen pickguards available online. Wasn't the orig pickup a Dimarzio? If so, could someone recommend a model that fits the pickguard and is a nice all around passive pickup? thanks!
g1-jpg.761199

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hi the original pickup was a Guild DP-8 (black, single coil/soap bar appearance), located in the bridge position.

i think DP-8 means double pole as each of the 4 strings has 2 small pole pieces each. they sound fantastic.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
hi the original pickup was a Guild DP-8 (black, single coil/soap bar appearance), located in the bridge position.

i think DP-8 means double pole as each of the 4 strings has 2 small pole pieces each. they sound fantastic.

guild-b301-bass-630-80.jpg

From the internet, but it might save mavuser about 990 words :) I had to ponder the double pole thing for a while although it is now perfectly clear.

Tangentially, some folks who don't know the pickup wonder if the Bisonic (and variants) has two poles per string. It has one pole and a screw that adjusts the pole height.