Berry Oakley Tractor Bass

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I thought that this was kinda cool. It showed up in my youtube feed... Shaun Oakley talking about his Grandfather's bass guitar. I think that the unscripted nature of the video and the awkwardness of youth add to the charm of this presentation. At 3:35 he begins to talk about the pickup selection for the opening to "Whipping Post".

Check it out:
https://youtu.be/aIpf8Ws330g

sailingshoes

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wonder where I got the idea?

IMG_20160411_154400284_HDR.jpg

:)

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Frono... that is a beautiful custom instrument! I must have missed your original post. Photo #5 of the cell phone pics (the end pin shot) is amazing! It clearly shows the neck thru construction and the different types of wood in the 5 ply laminate, contrasted with the body.

I have been a life-time Allman Brothers fan, but never realized that it was a Guild Bi-Sonic pickup making those mellifluous tones at the beginning of "Whipping Post".

Bill

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
We've known about the Tractor Bass for a while and it comes up in discussion every so often. I seem to recall that someone also turned up a photo of Barry Oakley playing a Starfire II bass which reinforces the connection. It is interesting that what I hear in the video above for Whippin' Post is the pick and not necessarily the Bisonic.