Strings for a JS II

Reaction score
I recently acquired an early JS II and am now attempting to restore it to playing condition. I am stymied, however, by the challenge of restringing it. It looks and plays like a short-scale bass, but when I attempted to restring with a set of Roto short-scale strings I wound up with the binding on the A and D strings extending from the nut halfway to the first fret. It's hard to imagine that the JS II takes long-scale strings, but is that the solution? I'd appreciated any advice from anyone who is familiar with the JS II.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

Generally the JS II was a "short scale" bass with a nominal scale length of 30.5". Usually strings that give a suggested scale length in that vicinity or say "short scale" should work. There are sets aimed at Hofners that say "short scale" that really are too short but otherwise 'short scale" is usually safe. I can read string packages later today and see if I have anything to add.

Roughly speaking the JS was in production from 1970-1977 with the specs on the very early and very late models being "unusual". Circa 1973 or 74 a long scale JS was introduced. That is a 34" scale. If you count frets, the long scale had fewer. My memory says 21 for the short scale and 19 for the long scale but I could be off. If you have an eye for detail and have seen a lot of short scale JS basses, the bridge position looks "off" on a long scale.

I looked at the scale guide for Rotosound here. If I had to buy something for my JS right now, without measuring anything, I would go for what they call medium scale since they say 30.5-32" and I think their short scale may be for the Hofners alluded to above. Perhaps that is your solution?

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Frono is correct. If it is a "standard" JS-II, 32 inch strings are what you need. Often called medium scale.

I had the same experience as you trying shorties on my JS.

(Just to muddy the water. TI offers 32" flats marked as being for Hofner basses. The only difference from their regular offering is that the E string is 95 guage rather than 105.)

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
It's the "extra" distance between the saddles and the string anchor points on the harp bridge (as compared to, say, a top-loading P-Bass or J-Bass type bridge) that necessitates use of a medium scale set. String-through, short scale, bass bridges, such as that of the Mustang or the Reverend Dub King cause the same issue (the need to use a medium-scale set) though the Dub King can also be top-load strung with a short-scale set if preferred: user's choice.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the confusing part is on the string makers. For example, if you are using D'addario strings the JS needs their "medium scale." (D'addario short scale strings are only for the Beatles bass and some Gibson/Epiphones).

However, if you use TI flats the JS takes their "short scale" strings (which are the same legnth as D'addario medium scale...).

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
the confusing part is on the string makers. For example, if you are using D'addario strings the JS needs their "medium scale." (D'addario short scale strings are only for the Beatles bass and some Gibson/Epiphones).

However, if you use TI flats the JS takes their "short scale" strings (which are the same legnth as D'addario medium scale...).

Yes. A significant contribution to the problem is that the mapping of a specific numerical value for scale length to a word like "medium", "short" or "long" depends upon how the manufacturer of the bass and the maker of the strings choose to define the term. There is not as much consistency as we really need if we are just looking at the words. And then, as noted, there are the non Guild outliers where the speaking length (i.e. scale length) of the string appears to suggest one size but the geometry (4 on a side headstock, string through the body) requires something longer.

But given the numerical values Rotosound publishes, Rotosound medium scale is the best match for a JS.

Reaction score
Many thanks for the thoughtful and informative responses. I'll take a look at the Medium Scale sets.

While I'm here, I'll also note that my wife recently surprised me with a Newark Street Starfire I. Any recommendations on scale, gauge and brands for when it comes time to restring this beauty?

mellowgerman

Reaction score
My favorite strings to put on my old JS-II bass were heavy gauge Fender long scale flatwounds -- they don't offer scale variations for their flats (or at least they didn't when I had my JS-II). They were technically a tad long, but carefully stripping off the outer winding at the very end to allow the string through the tuning peg did the trick. I will stress that I used the Fenders though, because some other string brands will break if you do this.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Many thanks for the thoughtful and informative responses. I'll take a look at the Medium Scale sets.

While I'm here, I'll also note that my wife recently surprised me with a Newark Street Starfire I. Any recommendations on scale, gauge and brands for when it comes time to restring this beauty?

Nice. Scale length is the same 30.5" so whatever you learned about getting the right set for the JS applies to the Starfire. I've used and liked D'Addario flats but I confess that once you get past 'round vs. flat' I'm not too picky about my strings.