Help identify My Guild Please

Reaction score
My brother recently passed away and I received his favorite all time guitar "Guilda". He purchased the guitar in California from a pawn shop in the early 80's I think. It was in rough shape and he had a luthier do some basic work but left her pretty much in the same shape. He played it in clubs until a few years ago when diabetes caused him to lose the ability to play. My problem is that there is no sticker on the inside although there is an oval type imprint left on the wood. It has a subtle arch on the back also. My brother always said that it was a 50's model but I am unsure the year or the model number. If someone could help id her I would be grateful. It sounds amazing and I will play it and remember my brother no matter what. I am posting some pix to maybe help.
library

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome and sorry for your loss. No pics showed up. Perhaps this would help?

I think we would love to solve this mystery for you, but the oval label imprint isn't much to go on, yet.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The photo link worked for me. It's an F-50R, looks to me like mid 60s model with the arched Rosewood back. Only made a few years before they went to flat back on the Rosewood model.
Brad

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Allow me...

IMG_0901_zpsx1hgdi2u.jpg

Not bad, eh?

But I can't decide if it's rosewood or maple.

IMG_0903_zps2ki1uedp.jpg

PatagoniaMike, if you could just let us know the serial number of the guitar (on the back of the headstock) we could perhaps identify the year the guitar was produced.

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG, Mike.
Unfortunate way to come upon a classic Guild but I think your idea to play it in your brother's memory will only increase its value to you.

BTW, it's a beauty!

Take care,
Joe

DougH

Reaction score
When did Guild start serial numbers on the back of the headstock? My F50 does not have any numbers other than the label in the sound hole. Just wondering. Very nice looking guitar and must sound great!

Reaction score
The only true value in older/vintage 'classic' guitars IMHO, are the ones played with Love, passed forward with Love, and kept knowing just how special it was to the one that passed it forward. These rare pieces are getting harder to 'find' in this market of 'Glut' guitars, where some confuse 'How Many' Instruments, to 'How Lucky' I am to have these Instruments as a 'Value',...

...the Sentimental value you'll find in this well 'Loved piece', will far surpass any COA, or piece of cheap/cheesy Certificate/Dating of it. Enjoy it for just 'what' it is,...and IF a date is found, it will just add any/your knowledge of it's already Cool Pawn Shop story...and should just add to it's value to you. I too am so Sorry for your loss,...just realize though, you hold onto a big piece of his spirit. Tom

Last edited:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
The photo link worked for me.

Interesting. There is no photo link in the post for me, even when I use my Moderator status to edit it. Since it seems to be only me there must be something in my configuration. FWIW, a different browser gives me something that indicates an image or link didn't load but still... Regardless it is a local problem and mine to solve :)

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
When did Guild start serial numbers on the back of the headstock? My F50 does not have any numbers other than the label in the sound hole. Just wondering. Very nice looking guitar and must sound great!

Wrong question? Guild stopped stamping serial numbers sometime in the 21st Century. I trust my memory when I say New Hartford did not and Oxnard isn't. I'm pretty sure Tacoma did not. I'm not sure about Corona and Westerly did.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The only true value in older/vintage 'classic' guitars IMHO, are the ones played with Love, passed forward with Love, and kept knowing just how special it was to the one that passed it forward. These rare pieces are getting harder to 'find' in this market of 'Glut' guitars, where some confuse 'How Many' Instruments, to 'How Lucky' I am to have these Instruments as a 'Value',...

...the Sentimental value you'll find in this well 'Loved piece', will far surpass any COA, or piece of cheap/cheesy Certificate/Dating of it. Enjoy it for just 'what' it is,...and IF a date is found, it will just add any/your knowledge of it's already Cool Pawn Shop story...and should just add to it's value to you. I too am so Sorry for your loss,...just realize though, you hold onto a big piece of his spirit. Tom
Great thoughts, Tom, and well stated.
And since I see that this is your first post, WELCOME TO LTG!
Consider coming out from behind this post to introduce yourself to the crew.

Joe

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The photo link worked for me. It's an F-50R, looks to me like mid 60s model with the arched Rosewood back. Only made a few years before they went to flat back on the Rosewood model.
Brad

It doesn't appear to be the Rosewood Arched back F50R as you would see the grain of the Rosewood in the soundhole pic. I do however believe it is a Maple F50 with the back finished in the Red to Brown Stain that Guild used on their guitars back then. Without the serial number I would say this is a 70's model from the pickguard and style of bridge. Beautiful Guild PatagoniaMike, Sorry that you acquired it under such circumstances. Best wishes,

TX

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses to my question. I will do some closer inspection to see if I find any other numbers or marks. The pictures look really good maybe better than reality! She looks pretty rough up close, but she is beautiful.

DougH

Reaction score
This F50 is the '59 from Hoboken...wrong question??

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

I was going off of the photos that Dapmdave posted for the Original Poster with my assessment that this is a Maple F50. I think What Frono was implying by the "Wrong Question" comment was that Guild Always stamped the serial number into back of the headstock. They stopped this practice in 2005 and since then have only had the serial numbers on the inside labels. So the "Wrong Question" Was when did they Start the practice of serial numbers on the back of the headstock and the "Correct Question" would be When did the Stop stamping serial numbers in the back of the headstock. Hope this helps!

TX

DougH

Reaction score
Thanks. Good thoughts to you PatagoniaMike

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total

txbumper57 explained it.

It's kind of like asking "when did you stop beating your wife?". The question assumes that you were beating your wife and it is hard to answer honestly if you are not, and never were, a wife beater.

guildman63

Reaction score
txbumper57 explained it.

It's kind of like asking "when did you stop beating your wife?". The question assumes that you were beating your wife and it is hard to answer honestly if you are not, and never were, a wife beater.

Having a tough time honestly answering that question, frono? :barbershop_quartet_ :adoration: