Beatles at Hollywood Bowl 1964

xilef regnu

Reaction score
Never gets old…at least it hasn't yet!

dIgVHu1.jpg

geoguy

Reaction score
LOL !

I'll have to show this to my wife. She was one of the screaming early-teenage girls in the audience of both Beatles concerts in the Boston area, during '64 & '66.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you guys notice someone getting carried out on a stretcher? That probably would've been me as I don't think I could've handled all those screaming mimis around me!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Did you guys notice someone getting carried out on a stretcher? That probably would've been me as I don't think I could've handled all those screaming mimis around me!

It was staged.....no screaming young female in her right mind woulda passed out no matter how excited she got.
:biggrin-new:

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
great footage, thanks for sharing! i think i see my mom in the audience ha (kidding but she did attend attend the Shea Stadium show that same year...she was 14!)

strummer

Reaction score
Really good audio for when it was recorded.In this time of multiple guitar techs,etc.it always makes me smile to see the Beatles,certainly the biggest act in the world,plugging in and testing the amps,mics,etc.before playing.Check Ringo repositioning his snare before Twist and Shout.What a time,glad I was alive and into it.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Really good audio for when it was recorded.In this time of multiple guitar techs,etc.it always makes me smile to see the Beatles,certainly the biggest act in the world,plugging in and testing the amps,mics,etc.before playing.Check Ringo repositioning his snare before Twist and Shout.What a time,glad I was alive and into it.

Or the Washington DC show on their first tour, where they played on a round stage in the middle of the crowd and moved the amps, mics, etc. themselves several times during the show so they could face the different parts of the audience!

Here's a glimpse of the chaos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77VUk9MSqNQ

walrus

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Or the Washington DC show on their first tour, where they played on a round stage in the middle of the crowd and moved the amps, mics, etc. themselves several times during the show so they could face the different parts of the audience!

walrus
Most excellent!!
The boys were workin' it big time. :applouse:

Thanks,
Joe

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Most excellent!!
The boys were workin' it big time. :applouse:
Reminds me that Martin and Epstein (and the boys too) knew that the average life expectancy of a pop group was about 2 years and they knew they needed to milk it for all it was worth while they could.
Who'da thunk that they'd last long enough that 3 years later on this day in history, A Day in the Life was banned by the BBC....

Zelja

Reaction score

walrus
Such a primitive concert production when you look back! The drums don't seem to be miked except for one lone mic 10 feet above the drums. Is this for sound reinforcement or recording? The amps don't appear to be miked & I don't see any monitors. How did they manage to hear themselves & do those harmonies? No guitar pedals either, a constant barrage of screaming girls...Yet they kill it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Such a primitive concert production when you look back! The drums don't seem to be miked except for one lone mic 10 feet above the drums. Is this for sound reinforcement or recording?
My memory of what I've read is that the concerts were never intended for record release, and I suspect the mike is for reinforcement.
The amps don't appear to be miked & I don't see any monitors. How did they manage to hear themselves & do those harmonies? No guitar pedals either, a constant barrage of screaming girls...Yet they kill it.
PA technology of the era was primitive, they had no monitors, and one of their ongoing complaints about concerts was how hard it was to hear themselves over the screaming.
I remember a Grace Slick anecdote about how tough concerts were until they finally got stage monitors, and I'm thinking that was actually late '67 or early '68.
"IIRC", the whole idea of doing concerts in outdoor venues like baseball stadiums originated with the Beatles due to their drawing power.
Hollywood Bowl at least was purpose built and designed for enhancing sound coming from the stage by virtue of its amphitheatre shape.
Concert PA technology in general was very primitive well into the '60s.
It's why Marshall had 100-watt amps in '67, and being the "world's loudest rock band" was a title that circulated from the Experience to San Francisco's Blue Cheer and then to Grand Funk Railroad.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Based on what people who saw them say, unless you were very close, the audience couldn't hear them either!

Still, "I saw The Beatles live" is quite a conversation starter!

walrus