Question about Aviator finish options, tuners, and pick guards

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to Let's Talk Guild. I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently picked a S284 Aviator SN is HG100263. As best I can tell, it's a 1985. It's black with a black pick guard, EMG hss pup configuration, and Kahler trem. I'd like to know what kind of finish was used on these guitars so I can come up with the best course of action for cleaning it up. Did they use nitro, poly, or something else? It's covered in stickers and somewhere along the line someone did a dripping blood paint scheme on the head stock. (I'll try to post pics in the next day or two if needed) I want to clean it up and get it as close to factory condition as possible.

I was also wondering what kind of tuners were used at the factory. It looks like someone swapped out the tuners for Schallers.

Lastly, any recommendations for a replacement pick guard? There are large pieces broken off near the tone knob. Does anyone have any NOS pick guards kicking around?

Thanks in advance for any help and information.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Try lighter fluid/naptha. You can get that in any hardware store. It won't hurt lacquer or poly. Can't help you on the pg, but welcome to the forum!

matsickma

Reaction score
Google"Pick guard Heaven" and search under Guild. They sell pickguards for the S284 Aviator. You have some choices on pickguards material type. I bought a pickguards for a '63 Thunderbird and it worked out fine.
M

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome Cleetus! I have a 1984 Very early all Black Aviator with the black pickguard and same pickup setup that is in NOS condition. Still has the plastic on the pickguard. I purchased it from a Retired Guild Sales Rep who received it as an award in 1984 for being the best in his region. I just had surgery yesterday on my shoulder so I can't pull it out of the case at the moment but I have some photos on file of it that I will post for you.

Regarding the finish, I can't remember if it is Poly or Nitro. The person to ask for sure would be Hans Moust here on the forum, He is the resident all things Guild Guru and I'm sure he would know.

As far as the pickguard they were somewhat designed after the Strats of the time. Mine is made of a Thick Black Lexan Material. Hans may be able to help you out with a NOS Pick Guard as well or know someone who has one. If you can't find a replacement pickguard you can always have one made for it. The website www.quickguards.com makes some great stuff and I am sure Mike Quick of Quick guards can make you a replacement that is just like the original but you may have to send yours to him for a template if there is enough left.

They are Great guitars and I am very attached to mine. Brings me back to the Eighties every now and then for some paint peeling crunch! Here are the photos of mine that I have on file. To the best of my Knowledge all of the parts you see in the photos on mine are Original from the factory. Hope this helps.

TX

AWNYHD.jpg
5WOZby.jpg
f3YsXy.jpg
tjlfuP.jpg
HqO75f.jpg
vynkdI.jpg
LQiq8r.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome Cleetus! I have a 1984 Very early all Black Aviator with the black pickguard and same pickup setup that is in NOS condition. Still has the plastic on the pickguard. I purchased it from a Retired Guild Sales Rep who received it as an award in 1984 for being the best in his region. I just had surgery yesterday on my shoulder so I can't pull it out of the case at the moment but I have some photos on file of it that I will post for you.

Regarding the finish, I can't remember if it is Poly or Nitro. The person to ask for sure would be Hans Moust here on the forum, He is the resident all things Guild Guru and I'm sure he would know.

As far as the pickguard they were somewhat designed after the Strats of the time. Mine is made of a Thick Black Lexan Material. Hans may be able to help you out with a NOS Pick Guard as well or know someone who has one. If you can't find a replacement pickguard you can always have one made for it. The website www.quickguards.com makes some great stuff and I am sure Mike Quick of Quick guards can make you a replacement that is just like the original but you may have to send yours to him for a template if there is enough left.

They are Great guitars and I am very attached to mine. Brings me back to the Eighties every now and then for some paint peeling crunch! Here are the photos of mine that I have on file. To the best of my Knowledge all of the parts you see in the photos on mine are Original from the factory. Hope this helps.

TX
FbyJiW.jpg

AWNYHD.jpg
5WOZby.jpg
f3YsXy.jpg
tjlfuP.jpg
HqO75f.jpg
vynkdI.jpg
LQiq8r.jpg

Cool! Thanks for posting those photos, super helpful. I have a couple questions- are the tuners Grover Minis? Is your pg single ply? Thanks again.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Cleetus, Glad to be able to help out. I believe the Tuners are Grover Minis 6 on one side with the Black finish and diagonal mounting hole. The pickguard appears to be made of one solid piece of Lexan type material that has the Black applied to the back. That gives it the "deep" appearance.

Here is a link to the guitar mechanic page, about a 1/4 of the way down it shows a photo of an Original black Aviator pickguard loaded with EMG's. I don't know if it is for sale or not but at least the photo will give you an idea of what you are looking at.

http://www.theguitarmechanic.com/GuildKnobsPickguards.html

One other little nugget of info, The S284 Aviator only had a pickguard for the first 2 years or so. Sometime around 1986 they went to a smooth top with an access panel on the back instead.

Last edited: