Andy McKee Live in Annapolis

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Spent the weekend in Annapolis with the missus, and at the last minute added an Andy McKee Sunday matinee concert at the Ram's Head Tavern between Saturday night's Rita Wilson and Sunday night's Karla Bonoff/Jimmy Webb concerts.

Holy. Crap.

That guy can play. Did most of his set with a baritone guitar in altered tunings (didn't recognize the headstock design, but he does endorse Dyer and Greenfield Guitars), and it was magnificent.

Also did a couple of numbers on a harp guitar that were spectacular.

His YouTube channel is here.

And at the end of Mr. McKee's concert I felt same as I did after Tommy Emmanuel's: I don't know whether to burn my guitars or start practicing obsessively.

Sigh.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
How's Karla Bonoff sounding these days? I always loved her as a songwriter. Not the strongest or best of voices, but she got through it. And Jimmy Webb, wow!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
How's Karla Bonoff sounding these days? I always loved her as a songwriter. Not the strongest or best of voices, but she got through it. And Jimmy Webb, wow!

It was nice hearing from two of the most important songwriters of the '60's, '70's, and into the '80's. The between-song patter and stories from both was fascinating.

Ms. Bonoff opened, performing solo on her acoustic guitar and piano, and sounded really good - her rendition of her song "Someone to Lay Down Beside Me" was strong and moving. She was particularly wistful talking about her "before its time" group, Byrndle.

Jimmy Webb never could sing much (I learned that from 1996's album, Ten Easy Pieces), and still can't, but nobody cares because the songs are so strong. "MacArthur Park" in particular was a glorious mess of missed high notes that ended with the crowd erupting in cheers. He had some hilarious stories about growing up the son of an ex-Marine Baptist minister.

They closed the show together.

They apparently tour together from time to time - they just did 3 shows out her on the east coast.