Pilot 5 string: Worth saving?

Reaction score
So glad I found this forum. I own a Pilot 5 string from the early '90's that I bought new for my first band. Memories. I got it out recently to see about getting it back in playing shape. Well, I wasn't easy on it when I was a kid -- several dings in the body, a section of peeled paint on the back about the size of a silver dollar from buckle rash. A bent tuning peg (still works, but.). More recently, I tried to tighten the truss rod and managed to strip the threads on it.

So I'm at something of a crossroads with it. One route would be to perhaps replace the neck, touch up the paint, and get new tuners. But I wonder if by the time I've finished sinking that kind of money and time into it, I might be better off just buying something else. What do you think -- is it worth saving? If it's a classic, then it probably is -- but is it still a classic with a different neck? Tough questions. I'd value your thoughts.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome.

Many times LTGers will advise going with sentiment rather than money. So if the first band's bass has any meaning for you then you should fix it up so you can, and will, still play it. LTGers also have a soft spot for restoring abused instruments (not that your description sounds like "abused") so again, fix it but expect to never get your money out of it.

There are several folks with luthier experience and they will be along, I hope, but I suspect the truss rod can be replaced, preserving the neck. On many instruments the fingerboard can be removed to allow the truss rod to be replaced and since the Pilot has a bolt on neck it might even be possible to take off the neck and "slide" the rod out. If the rod is easily removed then a machine shop might even be able to restore the threads.

Pics would be interesting and remember that 5 string Pilots are rarer than 4 string Pilots. :)

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome!
Stay calm, and play that Guild.

The issues you've described are readily dealt with, for far less money than a new bass. New tuners, or just a single tuner to replace the bent one, are readily available. As far as the truss rod goes, a good luthier will be able to give you options. One is to have new threads cut. Stewmac even sells a kit for this (although I'd recommend having a luthier handle this. You done want to go too far and the be forced to get a new neck.)

The paint and other cosmetic issues are up to you, but I'd suggest leaving them as is; they are honest wear, showing the bass's (and yours) history. Show them proudly. There's a lot of people paying big money for phoney "relic'd" guitars, you've got the real deal.