RIP Merle Haggard

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Lost one of the Great Original artists of Music today, He always found a way to connect with his Music and Lyrics especially for the Working Class. I was raised on Merle, Johnny, Willie, Waylon, Kris Kristofferson, Hank Jr., and others. Listened to them as a kid riding in my father's company truck on the weekends. Merle was and is a big impact on my music and writing. He always spoke the truth through his music no matter what others thought. "Sing Me Back Home", "Mamma Tried", "If we make it through December", "Rainbow Stew", "Are the good times really over for good", "Workin' Man Blues", and especially his duet with Willie "Pancho and Lefty" were just some of my favorites. There will never be another Merle Haggard. May he forever ride those Silver Wings in the sky. RIP Merle and God Speed.

TX

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, this just pretty much sucks. I just loved his music. He's what I consider to be the real deal country wise, not like a lot of the rock and roll with a twanh wannabe's we see and hear today.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Aw man, I just logged in and to hear this sad news right off the bat just sucks!
Truly one of my all-timers and a distinctive voice that will never be replaced.

RIP Merle. :emptiness:

Joe

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
To me, Hag was the undisputed king of country music. Although his music was much more than country; really, he was the king of American music.
The songs he wrote and sang were timeless, sounding as fresh and vital today as they did when they were hits. There are a lot of songs from the '60's-'70's that I like, but have heard too many times. When they come on the radio, I turn them down, but it if 'Mamma Tried' or 'Working Man Blues' or any of 30+other Hag hits comes on, I turn it up and dig it like it's the first time I've heard it.
I had the good fortune to see MH several times, and each time it was 100% excellent. Singer, songwriter, band leader, hit maker, showman, and dangerous guitar picker, Merle did it all.
A life well lived
Thanks, Hag!

crank

Reaction score
Been a bit of a Merle Haggard fan for many years. First turned onto him by the Dead covering Mama Tried. Met him once through work. Good guy and really good picker too. I am a big fan of the Bakersfield sound and Merle was a big part of that. RIP Merle.