NGD Santa Cruz DPWM

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's not a Guild so posted this under Micsellaneous. Just a couple pics. Hope to get more time with it Friday when I get back home. Tone is big and clear. I just love the quality of this dreadnought. I am strumming a lot more these days and it just booms without breaking up. Oh it had a K&K mini too, my fave pup. Look forward to changing strings and down tuning, all in good time. Will try a sound clip next weekend. Please forgive the photos, I am terrible at it. The back and sides are hog, no pics of that. Lighting was bad. The guitar is super light. The case is awesome. It just looks like the coolest elegantly simplest dread I have ever owned.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What a Beauty Wood! Are you sure that top is Sitka? It looks almost like a tight grained Adirondack Red spruce with the coloring, Either way it is Beautiful! Congrats!

TX

Neal

Reaction score
Definitely Sitka.

Congratulations, Woody, on a stellar example of modern boutique guitar-making. The purfling is particularly tasty.

Will you now be abandoning us for the SCGC forum???

And tell your wife I think she is super cool.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks everyone, really glad it is home now. Money will be tight for a bit, and me causing a $350 plumbing issue didn't help matters, but I know this is the right guitar. Yes, Nicola is awesome.

Definitely Sitka top.

No plans to head over to the SC forum. This NGD wasn't about a brand. It was just the coolest dread I had seen, and it sounded even better. I pass on a lot of guitars, always a good reason not to buy. This one, not so.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well done Wood!!!!! Really well done!!!! A really sweet looking guitar for a really good guy. Enjoy my man, I'm very happy for you.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congrats on your NGD, Wood! Ya' got some awesome herringbone and bear claw there. Maybe the bears were after the herrings? :)

For the record, this aesthetic motif here seems pretty close to the Martin HD-28. Is this a short-scale instrument? My memory of the HD may be a little hazy, but I think it was a short-scale. That instrument was a dream to play.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So, you gonna' share how you caused a plumbing incident? Second thought, perhaps that's TMI. :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A beauty! Congratulations!

And if chazmo HAS to know, send him a PM!

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's just funny how when you make a large purchase, all of a sudden you need money.

It is standard scale Chaz, as far as I can tell. But hog b/s not rosewood, HD28 is rosewood. I believe the standard DPW is the HD-28. I will have to get a pic of the back this weekend, as the hog has a big knot in it, which looks really cool. Glad I got it while I had the chance. To work it out, story is I agreed to clear out this below deck rat/snake infested area that has a bunch of piled up sand, rock and who knows what. It's a wicked small lower crawl space, started on it last night. I lifted an old grate which lifted pvc pipe so brittle, snap. Plumbing incident. The project will take me about 6-8 more hours, wearing heavy mask etc so not to contract huntivirus. Lowest estimate was 2500, as it is nasty work. That is the Santa Cruz,essentially. Nic and I also are painting the house instead of contracting out. And any other projects I can take on where we don't have to hire someone to do it, I am doing. But the nasty below deck dungeon work covers the DPWM. I have realized I actually like manual labor, so barring some unforeseen financial calamity, this experience worked out across more that just a guitar level. I actually feel peace and desire for the first time in a while. I was in a rut.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Woody, congrats on a BEAUTIFUL guitar, amigo!! That's QUALITY right there and their customer support is SUPERB!! Love the herringbone and the bear claw!! Simple, understated, elegant. Play it in good health!! :encouragement::encouragement: