Trying to put a date to my Guild M-20

Reaction score
I have a Guild M-20 with a SN of AH1091. I have not been able to for years get a date on when this was made. Could someone help me?

geoguy

Reaction score
A gentleman named Hans Moust may be along with a more definitive answer, but a serial number list that I just checked states that there were "some AH numbers" assigned to M20 guitars during 1965.

Welcome to LTG, by the way!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have a Guild M-20 with a SN of AH1091. I have not been able to for years get a date on when this was made. Could someone help me?

does it have a label that says "Westerly, Rhode Island?" it may be from the year 2000 if so. Hans Moust could tell you for sure

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Brendan, welcome aboard!
Guild's records from their early years were poorly preserved at best, and Hans Moust rescued all the records he could find when Guild closed their Westerly plant in 2001.
Send Hans an email with the s/n, it looks like he might have missed seeing your question, or he might still be tying to find the info:
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/
He prefers to be contacted there as his mailbox on the forum here fills up all the time.
The reference about "some M20's with AH #'s in 1965" was for M20 3/4 models but it may have applied also to full scale M20's from before then .
I don't think your s/n fts the 2000 format either, because virtually all s/n's I've seen for acoustics from that period have 5 digits not just 4.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't think your s/n fts the 2000 format either, because virtually all s/n's I've seen for acoustics from that period have 5 digits not just 4.

it corresponds to the model #, not so much the "time period." and mistakes were made as well. there is a chance there is more than one M-20 with that serial number, built decades apart

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
it corresponds to the model #, not so much the "time period." and mistakes were made as well. there is a chance there is more than one M-20 with that serial number, built decades apart
Yes, I should have said I've never seen a regular production Fender-Westerly acoustic (which would include years '96-'01 and the re-issue M20's) with a s/n containing less than5 digits after an alpha prefix and I seriously doubt it got a 4-digit s/n in '99-'01 in error.
All the s/n errors I can recall seeing mentioned here dated to the '80's.
The only duplication I can recall was a Starfire bass, again, pre-dating Fender era.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have a Guild M-20 with a SN of AH1091. I have not been able to for years get a date on when this was made.

Hello brendanman1007,

Welcome! At this point it's not possible for me to date your Guild M-20 precisely to the year, but from what I've gathered so far I believe that your guitar is from the 1966-1968 period.

Go ahead and show us some photos of your guitar and I might be able to date it a bit more precisely by specs; try to include a close-up shot of the label.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ah, Hans has spoken. thankfully. these are tricky! that would be bitchin if u had an M-20 from the 60s! or really any Guild M-20. cheers!

Reaction score
I have reason to believe it is from the 60s due to recieving this guitar from a family member that palyed in the 60s. Also i lost this forum so excuse my dissapearence. Ill try to post picture when I get home from work.