This should be interesting.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And for some, perhaps not all that shocking...

Nic and I steal an hour to ourselves Saturday late afternoon, visit our fave guitar shop in Tucson. Rainbow Guitars. They have loads of Gibson acoustics, all in great shape. I wanted her to play them all, she loves Gibson. I had no desire to pick up a guitar, I just wanted to fetch the different models for her, let her play. It was quite fun. When all of a sudden, like a brick fallen on my head, there it was. One of the most beautiful stunning dreads I had ever see. I just stood there for a while. Tgen picked it up. A Santa Cruz D/PWM. Herringbone trim, mahogany back and sides, incredible black ebony fretboard, bear claw Sitka top. Very modest for its perfection. I played it for a long time. Nic knew. I was a goner. It was no guitar I had ever had on any radar. It just was.

So, we put it on hold till Tuesday. We are checking to see if it is doable. Working it out. Still, might not happen, but the point is I now understand when the guitar picks you. The brand is irrelevant. You will know. Kind of like what Chaz said yesterday.

Anyway, if it don't happen this time, it will again. The experience was paramount.

So last night I play the BR for a while, working on some instrumentals. This was my fave: http://youtu.be/ugi8-OO1wkg

Like Doc says, Peace.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Would this be the one, Clay?

tvkU9v.jpg

:hopelessness:
Curious Joe

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
See how that works? You'll not find better made or designed guitars than Santa Cruz! As Mary Chapin-Carpenter says, "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Just get the damn guitar.

How's that for encouragement?

:encouragement:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The PW Santa Cruz guitars that I've played, including an OM that was simply spectacular, have all been uniformly great. I really would like to have an OM/PW, and not long ago they could still be had for ~$2K. Not anymore it seems.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
See how that works? You'll not find better made or designed guitars than Santa Cruz! As Mary Chapin-Carpenter says, "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Just get the damn guitar.

How's that for encouragement?

:encouragement:

I'll know by tomorrow Tomas. I forgot to mention the tone of the guitar. Like Sandy said, spectacular. Light, airy, boomy, balanced, effortless. Like if humility could be proud and courageous, if that makes any sense. Anyway, will keep you all posted.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Would this be the one, Clay?

tvkU9v.jpg

:hopelessness:
Curious Joe

Sure looks like it Joe. The Sitka had more bear claw, which Hoover chose on purpose. I forget the reason. It makes the top bind better?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sure looks like it Joe. The Sitka had more bear claw, which Hoover chose on purpose. I forget the reason. It makes the top bind better?

What's funny is that bear claw in Sitka spruce used to be considered a flaw by most builders not long ago, the wisdom being that the irregularities in the grain can affect tone. Somewhere along the way it became fashionable, with the corresponding steep upcharge. My Bourgeois Slope D has a lot of it, and if it has any effect on the tone, damned if I can tell!

25394550311_dee1b79e12_b.jpg

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What's funny is that bear claw in Sitka spruce used to be considered a flaw by most builders not long ago, the wisdom being that the irregularities in the grain can affect tone. Somewhere along the way it became fashionable, with the corresponding steep upcharge. My Bourgeois Slope D has a lot of it, and if it has any effect on the tone, damned if I can tell!

25394550311_dee1b79e12_b.jpg

That is what I thought too. Bear claw being not sought after. Hoover cites a reason for it on his website. But it didn't matter, as this guitar he and his team made just sounded amazing. For me, the best acoustic I have heard/played in years. I just stopped dead in my tracks, ya know? I hope I can bring it home. I was just glad I could feel that way over an acoustic. Been a long long time.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I love bear claw and given my choice I'll take it every time. I think it really has the look myself. I have a Martin CEO 5 with some nice bear claw in it.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have yet to have that experience happen. I am not sure if I am looking forward to it, or fearing it, due to the cost of THE guitar, should it happen to me.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
There you go, Wood. I have a wry grin on my face after reading your post. It found you. That is an experience that not everyone has. There's not a thing more to say. :)

BTW, I've never heard a single negative word about SCGC. I only regret in my years living in CA that I never visited the shop.

Oh, and Sandy. Holy shnikies that is an exquisite top. I guess I've got a thing for bear claw. Wowser.

Neal

Reaction score
My Huss and Dalton 000 found me in the parking lot of a tech company in Cary, NC.

All I had to do was drive four hours south to be in a position to wander into its path!

Here's how I see it, Clay. You have really good guitar skills. You clearly enjoy playing. Your wife seems supportive. And based on the age of your kids, you have a LONG way to go before having any completely guilt-free income. 20 years is a long time to wait.

The deal I would make with myself inside my head is this: I will hang on to my car a year longer, fix it and drive it until it just won't run anymore, in order to play a guitar that is just perfect for me.

Ronald Reagan

Reaction score
Hey wood man, sweet guitar...i hope this is the one for you

to steal a line from the beatles: you found her, now go get her

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My Huss and Dalton 000 found me in the parking lot of a tech company in Cary, NC.

All I had to do was drive four hours south to be in a position to wander into its path!

Here's how I see it, Clay. You have really good guitar skills. You clearly enjoy playing. Your wife seems supportive. And based on the age of your kids, you have a LONG way to go before having any completely guilt-free income. 20 years is a long time to wait.

The deal I would make with myself inside my head is this: I will hang on to my car a year longer, fix it and drive it until it just won't run anymore, in order to play a guitar that is just perfect for me.

I am seeing if i can swing up and pick it up today, as i travel for work tomorrow and though Rainbow is closed today, they do stay open for mail orders etc. I would really like to get it today :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's been theorized that since it's a result of pressure deformation the wood may be a bit denser allowing slightly thinner more resonant tops, but like Sandy said who knows if it's really audible? Maybe a guy like Hoover or Dana Burgeois?
I like the aesthetic appeal too in any case.
Awaiting your update with bated breath.
:tranquillity:

Last edited: