So many 90s Bluesbirds in near new condition.

Reaction score
Expanding on what I wrote earlier... Nobody bought one of these to look cool. The folks that bought one were the sort of analytical thinkers, engineer-types, that would view it as a compelling instrument and would see brand/image as an irrelevant factor. Or the sort of quirky folks (like me) that always have a soft spot for the "little guy" companies of the world that manage to punch above their weight, quality/value-wise. Neither of these considerate sorts of folks are the types to knock a guitar around and most probably aren't playing sweaty, smoky, beer-soaked gigs, either...

So, I'm 36... engineer... just bought my first bluesbird (98 Goldtop) and loving it. Stumbled on this to compare the bluesbird with blues 90... reading this post and I'm thinking "Yeah! Yeah man, right on! That's me... I've got a thinking man's guitar here.... and I'm feeling real good about myself and then-

Even if they play out, they're playing some sort of dad rock.

Talk about a kick to the...

gilded

Reaction score
So, I'm 36... engineer... just bought my first bluesbird (98 Goldtop) and loving it. Stumbled on this to compare the bluesbird with blues 90... reading this post and I'm thinking "Yeah! Yeah man, right on! That's me... I've got a thinking man's guitar here.... and I'm feeling real good about myself and then-

Talk about a kick to the...

janice, don't worry about it! kakerlak was just having a bit of fun a couple of years ago when he wrote all that. Besides, I've known him since he was 16 and that was a long time ago. The cool thing is, in 10 more years, kakerlak will be aged-out to 'Dad Rock Demographic' himself. I can't wait to see that..........

In the mean time, you've got a really cool guitar that is also very versatile. Enjoy.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Just read through a number of (amusing) definitions for dad rock. I guess I'm out of touch, but at least I can say that my teenagers actually like most of the music that I listen to.

This one is actually on my kid's playlists! :victorious:

gilded

Reaction score
Didn't know that Buddy ever played a Bluesbird. I know he played a Nightingale for a while and had played Starfire IVs for many years, but never seen him with a Bluesbird :eek:range:

Me neither. I was talking about the Buddy Guy version of Mustang Sally vs. the Wilson Pickett version.

kakerlak

Reaction score
The extent to which my snide suppositions have derailed this thread is oddly satisfying.

jcwu

Reaction score
What I do know is that in nearly every industry, if you release a "me too" product, you will almost NEVER get the comparison to the original off your back, and it's almost impossible to avoid the take away: "not as good as the original." This is true when you're bringing out a product that is supposed to compete directly with a competitor's already popular product, and it's also true when you reissue a product of your own. Doesn't matter what the "real" facts are, the thing you are going to hear over and over again is "it's not as good as the original," even when that's not true.

Remember the G&L guitars? Leo Fender started that line, if I'm not mistaken. As a younger player, and even now to some degree, the G&L Strat-lookalikes will forever be a "me-too-but-not-quite" product compared to the Strat, even though it was designed by Leo himself.