liningupCT.JPG

Speakers in

speakersCT.JPG

Almost there.

almostCT.JPG

Finished

finishedCT.JPG

topCT.JPG

Sounds fantastic. #1 inputs are low power and perfect for practice. #2 inputs get wicked loud at 2 on the dial.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks great. Yeah, when I built a 5e3, working in that small chassis, you understand why they had tiny ladies doing the wiring. Really helps to have tiny fingers!

griehund

Reaction score
Looks great. Yeah, when I built a 5e3, working in that small chassis, you understand why they had tiny ladies doing the wiring. Really helps to have tiny fingers!

I use the trial and anger method. There's lots of swearing going on.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I use the trial and anger method. There's lots of swearing going on.

Hah! My preferred strategy too!

Curious as to why you've got the #1 & #2 inputs reversed gain-wise from normal? I'd be confused. :)

I've never built an amp but it's on my to-do list since I get along pretty well with soldering irons. I do have a recent Kendrick 2112, based on the 5E3 Deluxe circuit but with reverb added a la the Princeton Reverb. Adds a gain stage, regardless of reverb on or off, and when used at sane levels pretty much mandates both a 12AY7 in v1 and plugging into the lower gain inputs. It's house-filling loud with the vol at 3 (and the other channel's vol at 10.5 for some clean headroom and a nice midrange scoop) and saturated distort-o-rama with the high-gain inputs by 5. (My oldie Deluxe, a '59 5F3, is more restrained but also exhibiting all the signs of advanced age. Rather than restore it I've decided to leave it be.) I've thought about digging into the Kendrick's guts and seeing if I can make that extra gain stage a switchable option.

-Dave-

griehund

Reaction score
Hah! My preferred strategy too!

Curious as to why you've got the #1 & #2 inputs reversed gain-wise from normal? I'd be confused. :)

My guess is it has to do with the lettering on the chassis. When I fired it up with my tech he said the #1 jack was the high gain input but the front has it labelled #2. My tech was going from right to left and the jacks are lettered from left to right. It doesn't bother me cause it's simple enough to get used to and it sounds fantastic. We checked it on both the schematic and the layout but it didn't sink in till I got it home and started playing with it.