It's back!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes, you're wrong, as are the others. This bass is all passive. RT is working on diagramming it as we type (with Bear gone now).

And no, this bass is not Yggdrasil. No bass is - Yggdrasil is the man's playing. This is just his first Starfire.

W-e-e-lll,,, I see that I inadvertently posted the same link twice (now corrected) when I mentioned the "how the bass got its name" anecdote in this interview:
http://music-illuminati.com/interview-jack-casady/
On a re-read, you're right, He says it was a term Owsley came up with to describe the sound.
Which is what I always thought until I saw somebody here use it as the bass' name and figured I was out of the loop about it in more ways than one.

Last edited:

Daghdha

Reaction score
I fell into the same trap as many before me. Jacks first Starfire was used on Crown of Creation and "Yggdrasil Bass" was used in the credits... Easy to make that connection.
I've since heard that Jack says the Yggdrasil monicker would be more correctly associated with Alembic #1.
The sound... Makes sense!

What's most important here, is that this Guild bass has been returned to it's rightful owner.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
mgod asked me to post some pictures for him. They came from Rick Turner and mgod has Jack Casady's permission to have them posted.

IMG_1219.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
So has he been playing it or recording with it? Any vids of him playing it now? Has he commented on it after getting it back? Still playable? Does it play like he remembers or has the bass changed too much?

edwin

Reaction score
So has he been playing it or recording with it? Any vids of him playing it now? Has he commented on it after getting it back? Still playable? Does it play like he remembers or has the bass changed too much?

My guess is that he's changed! He now plays long scale basses.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total

I don't recall more than some general "glad it is back" comments. Live he uses his long scale Epiphone signatures and there are a couple of articles that talk about what he wanted when he designed it. By implication those are points the Starfires could improve on.

You probably want to listen to the podcast linked to in http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...dcast-with-Guild-historical-content-and-veers

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My guess is that he's changed! He now plays long scale basses.

Jack certainly has a history of playing "long" (I prefer to call them "standard") scale basses, including the modified Fender Jazz bass he played on the first three Jefferson Airplane albums, referenced in the interview here.

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
As far as the electronics mods go, I found it interesting that , in the end, (in the fly guitars interview) he said that all the electronics are better left outside the instrument (let the amps do it for you).
But he does have a transformer in his new bass. I wonder what that does. low impedance?

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
As far as the electronics mods go, I found it interesting that , in the end, (in the fly guitars interview) he said that all the electronics are better left outside the instrument (let the amps do it for you).
But he does have a transformer in his new bass. I wonder what that does. low impedance?

The Signature bass is low impedance.

If you repair stuff, tinker or experiment, it is a lot easier to have stuff where you can easily get to it so as soon as the signal chain quality supports it, off board electronics are the way to go, IMO.

Saw this when confirming the impedance. Make a SF II in that color and I'm buying and I'm kind of afraid to see if the Limited Edition JC Sig is still available :)

CasadyBass_CP_Splash.jpg

idealassets

Reaction score
So glad he got it back. Make sure it doesn't get stolen again. Put it in a museum for folks to pay to look at it maybe?..

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It would be nice to see him record something new on it just for old times sake. Ultimately maybe it’s a Rock and Roll HOF guitar.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Signature bass is low impedance.

If you repair stuff, tinker or experiment, it is a lot easier to have stuff where you can easily get to it so as soon as the signal chain quality supports it, off board electronics are the way to go, IMO.

Saw this when confirming the impedance. Make a SF II in that color and I'm buying and I'm kind of afraid to see if the Limited Edition JC Sig is still available :)

CasadyBass_CP_Splash.jpg

if u buy that i have 2 virtually brand new epi JC cases, will give u a sweet deal on one (or both). i may even have 3