Who the F*@% is Frank Zappa?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not endorsing this but there are several folks who I suspect would be interested.

The Zappa estate has given filmmaker Alex Winter unprecedented access to the Zappa archives. There is a Kickstarter project to make a Zappa documentary and catalog and digital capture/preserve the archives.

See https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alexwinter/frank-zappa

Backers at $7500 have the opportunity to record in Zappa's studio and play "Zappa's guitar". Given the length of his career this leads to the question - which one of his guitars?

drc

Reaction score
Interesting. Always been a Zappa fan from a distance. He never really was part of my generation. I will have to research some before I can figure out which guitar...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
which one of his guitars?
That's a no-brainer:
GP_77-01.jpg

With that one you get to play Jimi Hendrix's guitar too.
(Actually yes I'm aware the provenance of that guitar is uncertain, but that's for a different thread.)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. He definitely wasn't a mainstream musician. He was part of the San Francisco sound. Remember "Country Joe and the Fish?
Tom
Ahhh, no, technically Frank would have been part of the "LA sound", like the Doors, although I'm sure he would have rejected being categorized at all.
But by his early teens he was raised, began his career, and made his home base in southern California.
Somewhat ironically perhaps, the best known of the "San Francisco sound" bands, the Grateful Dead and the Jefferson Airplane, made their first albums in Los Angeles, that was where the big labels had their recording studios.

Last edited:

NoPicks

Reaction score
"Who the F*@% is Frank Zappa?"

IMHO the greatest philosopher and social critic of the entire 20th Century, with a notable sideline making music the likes of which we shall never hear again

Suffice it to say, I'm a huge fan, not only of his music but also his entire attitude towards life in general. Even if he accomplished nothing else in life, he surely deserves the heartfelt gratitude of the entire United States for his deservedly brutal dismantling and public shaming of the PMRC, right there in what that pathetic collection of Bible-pounding busybodies had (unjustifiably) thought was "safe" territory

Lots of people talk about "speaking Truth to Power". Frank was one of the few I'm aware of who actually put his money where his mouth was and Did So. Repeatedly. In the most Public manner possible. And without the slightest hint of compromise or weasel-wording. He did it with his music (conceptual continuity: Big Swifty and many more examples too numerous to count), he did it in publicly televised testimony before a group that was masquerading as a Congressional Committee (when they were actually nothing of the kind), and he did it right in the face of quite a few 'high powered commentators' on television - the vast majority of whom made their living shilling for the most pernicious and subversive elements of American society

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
IMHO the greatest philosopher and social critic of the entire 20th Century, with a notable sideline making music the likes of which we shall never hear again
Suffice it to say, I'm a huge fan, not only of his music but also his entire attitude towards life in general.
Your'e among friend here NoPicks, you don't have to hold back.
And yes, btw, Big Swifty has always been one of my personal faves too.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
"Who the F*@% is Frank Zappa?"

Suffice it to say, I'm a huge fan, not only of his music but also his entire attitude towards life in general. Even if he accomplished nothing else in life, he surely deserves the heartfelt gratitude of the entire United States for his deservedly brutal dismantling and public shaming of the PMRC, right there in what that pathetic collection of Bible-pounding busybodies had (unjustifiably) thought was "safe" territory

Lots of people talk about "speaking Truth to Power". Frank was one of the few I'm aware of who actually put his money where his mouth was and Did So. Repeatedly. In the most Public manner possible. And without the slightest hint of compromise or weasel-wording. He did it with his music (conceptual continuity: Big Swifty and many more examples too numerous to count), he did it in publicly televised testimony before a group that was masquerading as a Congressional Committee (when they were actually nothing of the kind), and he did it right in the face of quite a few 'high powered commentators' on television - the vast majority of whom made their living shilling for the most pernicious and subversive elements of American society

+1 nopicks ;). Zappa ruled ! Brilliant writer , player , performer and Sh - tons more . Spoke up for mucians and freedom of speech at government levels to protect everyone's rights where many just wanted to sit back with bowed heads and ride the feed bags of there contract masters and or the music guild masters .

rwmct

Reaction score
Saw Zappa a couple times, once from the front row at the Hartford Civic Center. Loved to hear him play. Was not a fan of his sitting in a chair doing nothing while the band played around him, though.