A belly bulge on my guitar

Arty

Reaction score
Hello guys, well, the question is about the belly bulge on my guitar. I've recently noticed that the area near my bridge seemed to be arched a little bit. So, putting a straight edge across the guitar below the bridge shows that there's a slight bulge to the edges of my Hoboken ('62) Guild M-20 (has a bump or rise behind the bridge, more on the bass side than the treble side though).
I wonder if the guitar had that bulge before, or maybe it is caused by the climate (temperature and humidity) in my city.
I'm using the D'Addario two-way humidification system to keep the humidity stable around the guitar, even to reduce high humidity levels such as today the maximum humidity was 97% and minimum 43%.
I think the excess humidity is affecting my guitar. Any suggestions or help?

Cheers, Arty.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My '61 had numerous loose braces, and a bridge plate made of spruce, instead of maple or rosewood. I would have someone check those.

Arty

Reaction score
Some photos:

ABEC16803.jpg

22067E407.jpg

Cheers, Arty.

Arty

Reaction score
My '61 had numerous loose braces, and a bridge plate made of spruce, instead of maple or rosewood. I would have someone check those.

Definitely almost all vintage guitars need some work at one time or another. Maybe that's part of its charm.

Cheers, Arty.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Although they're referred to as "flattop" guitars, the tops are not, nor were they ever meant to be absolutely flat. There is a natural dome shape built into an acoustic steel string guitar. Especially with a guitar that old, I'd expect some "belly". As long as it's not throwing the action off and making it too high and there's no buzzing or anything to indicate loose braces, I'd say you're good. Most of my guitars have around that much dome in the top. Let's see what everyone says. I say it's okay.

It might seem a little high from the side view. You could install a Bridge Doctor if you wished. Lots of people swear by them and they're fairly non-invasive. Just an option.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Although they're referred to as "flattop" guitars, the tops are not, nor were they ever meant to be absolutely flat. There is a natural dome shape built into an acoustic steel string guitar. Especially with a guitar that old, I'd expect some "belly". As long as it's not throwing the action off and making it too high and there's no buzzing or anything to indicate loose braces, I'd say you're good. Most of my guitars have around that much dome in the top. Let's see what everyone says. I say it's okay.

It might seem a little high from the side view. You could install a Bridge Doctor if you wished. Lots of people swear by them and they're fairly non-invasive. Just an option.

+1 to Tom my guitars have it as well so does my Blueridge and it's not that old . I'm not saying not check for loose braces checking it is wise on old guitars but to me it's not all that bad but I'm honestly not firmiluar with these models .

Arty

Reaction score

+1 to Tom my guitars have it as well so does my Blueridge and it's not that old . I'm not saying not check for loose braces checking it is wise on old guitars but to me it's not all that bad but I'm honestly not firmiluar with these models .

Okay Tom and Rayk, I feel better then. The action is as good as ever.

Cheers, Arty.

kostask

Reaction score
Tops and backs are built with arches for strength purposes, and the braces are made with the arch in mind. Tops usually have more of an arch than the backs do. Only time to be concerned is when the arch seems to change (getting smaller generally means the guitar is drying out, increasing means either bridgeplate issues or brace glue issues). If it is stable, I wouldn't worry about it.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Okay Tom and Rayk, I feel better then. The action is as good as ever.

Cheers, Arty.

I would just let it ride then, Arty. if playability and tone are unaffected, let it ride. congrats on such a nice old Guild M20 too!