D'Addario Nickel Bronze Strings

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
After having them on my F50R for a day I do like them on that guitar. I am going to try them on my Orpheum 12 fret 6 string Hog and see how they do. Hoping they are not too bright for that Adirondack top. So far they sound good on the Sitka top RW back and sides combo. I will give them a run on the F512 when they come out with 12 string sets.

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You might my Bluerudge is an Adi top . :)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bought a set down the street. Will put them on after California vacation trip. Tx, glad you like them on the F50R. What I realized from the D'Addario video, of that dude ripping it on his Collings, I actually like both the EJs and the NBs. They are super close in tone, but I give the NBs the nod in terms of volume and projection, and those are the two things my all hog BR really need. I bought light gauge, .12-.53.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I figure they will do wonderful on your BR as it is on the dark end of the tone spectrum Wood being All Hog.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I figure they will do wonderful on your BR as it is on the dark end of the tone spectrum Wood being All Hog.

yes, i remember from beta testing, it brightened the BR but kept its depth at the same time, while giving me a touch more volume.
really, i remember thinking i had finally found the ideal string for this pain in the ***/#awesome Guild dreadnought :)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Y'oughta just marry the girl, you obviously love 'er, talkin' like that.

LOL

Al, last night while playing the BR, I thought to myself, "well, I so love this old dreadnought, why not just totally commit". It's not like another guitar is going to really help the matter :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
LOL

Al, last night while playing the BR, I thought to myself, "well, I so love this old dreadnought, why not just totally commit". It's not like another guitar is going to really help the matter :)

In some primitive tribes, where severe tickling is a form of masculine courtship, the woman will only laugh or sing for the man she'll actually accept, and then he has no option of refusal.
Weird, huh?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In some primitive tribes, where severe tickling is a form of masculine courtship, the woman will only laugh or sing for the man she'll actually accept, and then he has no option of refusal.
Weird, huh?

the BR: "woody, you had me at the g chord..."
woody: "yeah, well, sometimes I wonder if you had an arched back..."
the BR: "you're an idiot".
woody: "well, certainly cannot argue that one..."

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Whaaaaaat ?! Sever Masculine tickling ! Arched backs , woman watching and laughing ! Is this a soap gone wrong ! Oh Myyyy !!!

Now why do I have the hots for a D55 all of a sudden ? Do they make it in a cut away ? They should :mad:

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Whaaaaaat ?! Sever Masculine tickling ! Arched backs , woman watching and laughing ! Is this a soap gone wrong ! Oh Myyyy !!!

Now why do I have the hots for a D55 all of a sudden ? Do they make it in a cut away ? They should :mad:

Not that I have ever seen unless the custom shop in Nashville made one for someone. All of the cutaway RW dreads I have seen have been D50CE's.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update on these strings a couple of weeks in. They still sound goodt on the F50R tuned down 1/2 a step but when you tune to standard tuning they lose their depth and become very tinny. As far as the Orpheum 12 fret OM hog 6 string I think I may have gotten a bad set of strings. A week into them being on the intonation started going on the low "E" and "A" strings. Not a fan of these on the OM at all. I still have 2 sets left but I don't know if I am going to be using them or not. I feel like I get more tone/playing time out of the EJ and EXP sets. It was worth a try though.

TX

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
On first use, they sound pretty good on my Ovation Legend. I was afraid they would be TOO bright, but so far, so good. Not even an hour into use, though.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just wanted to give an update on these strings a couple of weeks in. They still sound goodt on the F50R tuned down 1/2 a step but when you tune to standard tuning they lose their depth and become very tinny. As far as the Orpheum 12 fret OM hog 6 string I think I may have gotten a bad set of strings. A week into them being on the intonation started going on the low "E" and "A" strings. Not a fan of these on the OM at all. I still have 2 sets left but I don't know if I am going to be using them or not. I feel like I get more tone/playing time out of the EJ and EXP sets. It was worth a try though.

TX

Bummer Tx. I will put mine on this Sunday when I get back to Tucson. But with the all hog dread, I need that brightness. But not tinny. That would be lame.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bummer Tx. I will put mine on this Sunday when I get back to Tucson. But with the all hog dread, I need that brightness. But not tinny. That would be lame.

No big deal Wood, You never know till you try. I may wind up putting a set on my all hog Resonator and see how they sound on it. I imagine they will do just fine on your BR being all Hog, You need the brightness for that one!:peach:

wileypickett

Reaction score
Not for me either. If you ever got desperate enough to put electric guitar strings on an acoustic guitar, that's what these sounded like to me. They're loud, but lacking the character of phosphor bronze. I gave them a week on the DV72, enough time to break them in and get used to the sound, just in case I was judging them on what I expected them to sound like.

Back to EJ 17s a couple days ago.

I did like them a little better than the Martin Monels however.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Not for me either. If you ever got desperate enough to put electric guitar strings on an acoustic guitar, that's what these sounded like to me.
The way I understand the description, the strings are not "made" of NB, but are PB strings with a NB plating. So it's really a step up from the strings that are coated with a synthetic substance like elixirs or EXP to an alloy coating.

"... Featuring an innovative combination of nickel-plated phosphor bronze wrapped onto a high carbon NY steel core,..."

Last edited:

kostask

Reaction score
For people looking for something brighter than EJ-16/EJ-17, try the GHS Signature Bronze LJ strings. They make a big deal over their "cryogenically treated" process, but I just think that they mess with the core wire/wrap wire ratio. Either way, they seem to be simultaneously brighter, and have better bass.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not for me either. If you ever got desperate enough to put electric guitar strings on an acoustic guitar, that's what these sounded like to me. They're loud, but lacking the character of phosphor bronze. I gave them a week on the DV72, enough time to break them in and get used to the sound, just in case I was judging them on what I expected them to sound like.

Back to EJ 17s a couple days ago.

I did like them a little better than the Martin Monels however.

I noticed some serious QC issues with the Monels after a while. The ones that I got in the vacuum sealed Foil pack I loved. The ones that Musician's Friend shipped me in the cardboard boxes without the vacuum seal on them sounded completely different and almost Dead in comparison. I have now switched mainly to EJ17's and EXP17's and am very happy with the tone and play ability of my guitars.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The way I understand the description, the strings are not "made" of NB, but are PB strings with a NB plating. So it's really a step up from the strings that are coated with a synthetic substance like elixirs or EXP to an alloy coating.

"... Featuring an innovative combination of nickel-plated phosphor bronze wrapped onto a high carbon NY steel core,..."

I liked the sound a lot and they sound fabulous in that comparison video. Worth a shot. I am going to try EJ 17s too, mostly strumming these days and flat picking. Hoping tension isn't brutal but I can always drop a full step.