D'Addario Nickel Bronze Strings

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
They are in stock right now on amazon. Extra lights, too.

Based on all these reviews, I'm thinking I might try some on my maple D64.

Any thoughts on their longevity? Normally, uncoated strings do not last too long for me. These are the same price as the coated, which surprised me. I'd want them to last a while at that price.

walrus

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'll post my experience in a few days some as I get them on :)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sounds like my next set of strings! Would LOVE to hear them in action....anyone have a sound clip?

I have 2 sets coming If you like I can do one on the CV-1 from Martin monels mixed 13 and 12's and new D's

And on my Blueridge which are D's regs to the new ones

griehund

Reaction score
BTW, EJ-16s and EJ-17s can be had for 4/21.00 plus a free tuner from Amazon. I already own a bunch.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you go to Daddario's website they have a comparison video with different guitars used.

yeah, that guy was jamming. I love the sound of that Collins dreadnought. The PBs sounded brighter to me, the Nickle PBs a tad fuller. hard to say really, but this should turn out well for D'Addario. Great to have another option to try. I know I liked them on the BR.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
BTW, EJ-16s and EJ-17s can be had for 4/21.00 plus a free tuner from Amazon. I already own a bunch.

I just got a deal in the last 2 weeks from a Music shop on Ebay on EJ-17's. Got them for $13+ Free shipping for the 4 pack of EJ-17's, Bought 3 packs so that is 12 sets. I also bought some EJ-38's for my 12 strings from them for 3 packs for $20 with free shipping. Couldn't pass up on that deal! I was going to order the Nickel Bronze through Amazon last night with my Prime account with free 2 day shipping and when I placed my order it said they wouldn't ship until the 15th of March. I cancelled my order and bought them through Sweetwater so they'll be here in a few days. Cheaper too as I didn't have to pay tax on them like on Amazon.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just got a deal in the last 2 weeks from a Music shop on Ebay on EJ-17's. Got them for $13+ Free shipping for the 4 pack of EJ-17's, Bought 3 packs so that is 12 sets. I also bought some EJ-38's for my 12 strings from them for 3 packs for $20 with free shipping. Couldn't pass up on that deal! I was going to order the Nickel Bronze through Amazon last night with my Prime account with free 2 day shipping and when I placed my order it said they wouldn't ship until the 15th of March. I cancelled my order and bought them through Sweetwater so they'll be here in a few days. Cheaper too as I didn't have to pay tax on them like on Amazon.

looking forward to hear your take on the NB strings.Mine broke after like 3 weeks but turns out it was my saddle. as some GHS strings broke too. since resolved that issue so i look forward to string the BR up with the NBs soon.

dude from local shop near my house just called to let me know he got shipment of D'a NBs in!
sweet!

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I ordered some lights and custom lights from Strings and Beyond, since it was all in stock. Of course, they got me on the "Free shipping on orders of $29 or more ! " so I added in some sets of flat picks and a Fred Kelly "Bumblebee" pick. They've always had great service, so I like dealing with them.

I am not really sure which guitar will get these new strings, however. Ovation ? Walden ? Guild ? Probably the first set goes to the guitar with the oldest strings.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
looking forward to hear your take on the NB strings.Mine broke after like 3 weeks but turns out it was my saddle. as some GHS strings broke too. since resolved that issue so i look forward to string the BR up with the NBs soon.

dude from local shop near my house just called to let me know he got shipment of D'a NBs in!
sweet!

I'll let you know what I think of them when they get here. I bought a few sets so I will probably try them on an Orpheum and my F50R first.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I just got my strings . I was wondering way the package was so big and heavy it had there catalog and small batch of candy and a flier with an copy of invoice and survey . Man there pulling out all the stops ... not bad if you ask me :)

My boy has been sick since yesterday it's been bad since 4pm -12 midnight we both slept on the couches. I'll do a piece with CV-1 as I mentioned Monals then D'addario's and the blueridge EJ's 13's then the nickel bronze ... but I might not get to it today because of the boy but I'll try :)

merlin6666

Reaction score
I have had them on the Orpheum since before xmas with maybe 5 to 10 hours of playing time each week and it's only now that they are starting to lose their spark. Also what I like is that they show no visible discoloration or leave a black residue on my fingers like regular uncoated strings tend to do.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have had them on the Orpheum since before xmas with maybe 5 to 10 hours of playing time each week and it's only now that they are starting to lose their spark. Also what I like is that they show no visible discoloration or leave a black residue on my fingers like regular uncoated strings tend to do.

and that is one of the reasons i liked them too. no stain on fingers and they didnt look sick after a while. i am liking the JP silk and steel however now for other reasons, but plan to get a couple sets soon

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I just got my strings . I was wondering way the package was so big and heavy it had there catalog and small batch of candy and a flier with an copy of invoice and survey . Man there pulling out all the stops ... not bad if you ask me :)
We've heard about the candy before, nice touch.
BUT you are gonna save it for the boy, right?
:smiley_simmons:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ok here it is sorry for my poor choice of chords and playing and noise , I had to do it in parts because my boy is still sick :( first take i had every thing shut down so it's quieter but so in the second go arounds. I just made up the music so it's not exactly the same for each part .

I don't intend to leave it up for long as I'm running out of free room hahaha ... we have no Sound cloud track insert ? oh the humanity !

https://soundcloud.com/agradeleous234/daddario-string-test

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ray, I appreciate you doing that sound clip but I can't really tell the difference in the EJ's and Nickel Bronze on your Blueridge at all. I use the Monels for fingerpicking only and don't play them with a pick so I could tell the difference on your CV but the Nickel Bronze sounded just like the EJ's again.

My strings got here today, I was going to put them on my Orpheum Jumbo this evening but I just can't bring myself to take off the EJ17's I have on it as it sounds to wonderful right now the way it is.:peach: I am debating on what guitar to try them out on at the moment. I will update once I figure it out.

UPDATE: I put the Nickel Bronze 13-56's on my F50R and they sound good. Really can't tell that much difference from the EJ's I had on it. Good sustain, Nice projection, Good clarity, More string Squeak but they are brand new. They finger pick well, Not as much warmth as the EJ's and EXP's when flatpicking and strumming chords. Not bad, We will see how they do after settling in a bit. They sound good through my amp, Can't really tell the difference from before. I did forget how good my F50R sounds plugged in. I must say, Overall they are nice but when I put them on there wasn't the Wow, these are different and sound great! moment.

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't expect that different feeling. Try a set of Thomastik's, Tex. That'll make you scratch your head! :) :)

It'll be a while 'till I burn through my PBs. Kinda wish I'd been paying attention before I made my annual bulk-order from Strings and Beyond... Oh, but wait, they don't have 12-string sets yet anyway... Maybe I'll try a couple of 6 string sets on my 6ers.

F312

Reaction score
Email from D'Addario; NB 12 string sets will be available July or August.
Ralph