D'Addario Nickel Bronze Strings

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
D'Addario N6 Nickel Alloy

Just found out a guitar shop near my house will soon be carrying the strings I and a few others on the LTG beta tested. I really liked them on the BR, so glad I can buy them local. Glad they are hitting stores soon. Also found out they will be using the same NYC Steel they use in their EXPs. Guitar shop manager was at NAMM and he said there was a bit of a deal bout them in the D'Addario booth. I cannot find much about them on the D'Addario website however.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I cannot find much about them on the D'Addario website however.
Putting up an announcement blurb on a single page is cheap and easy, but updating whole catalog pages is expensive and time consuming.
In fact I could tell you about a paper mill that's had incorrect packaging put-up info on its website for over 2 years now.
Not even worth fixing on a low-volume product that's sold through distributor channels who will sell partial cases anyway.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sweetwater has had them available for preorder for about 3-4 weeks now with a shipping date estimate of March 1, 2016.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
GC is preorder as well . 11.99 a set U.S

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just saw these at Strings and Beyond and I guess they're a fairly new product.

I gotta' hear 'em.... Pretty rare to see a new product from D'Addario. Post up if/when folks have more info. Very interested to hear.

I tried listening to the side-by-side comparisons with PB strings on the D'Addario web site, but I can't tell the difference on my laptop speakers.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chaz, that is their new N6 (NYC) same steel base used in their coated strings, but nickel. some of us here beta tested them. I was impressed.
N6 Alloy. Great tone, volume, projection and good feel string.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's wicked cool.

I guess I missed the original thread! I'll merge 'em up.

Wood, are they coated strings? I presume the comparisons were being made with uncoated PB vs. uncoated Nickel bronze.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's wicked cool.

I guess I missed the original thread! I'll merge 'em up.

Wood, are they coated strings? I presume the comparisons were being made with uncoated PB vs. uncoated Nickel bronze.

They are uncoateds. I am allergic to coated strings. Actually, I just don't like how the coateds fray, they look diseased. plus saying i am allergic to coated strings is way funnier...
i really really liked the N6 alloy string and pleaded with them to bring them to market, just didnt realize they were moving so quickly. I am not a fan of the John Pearse Nickels or the Martin Monels, but this N6 alloy was very surprising and they really blew me away. The way I described them is if you could take the best part of phosphor bronze strings, but prevent the PB from sucking the natural tone of your guitar totally out, that is what these attempt to do. I will buy them once this shop local to me stocks them. Chaz, I might have found my go to string after all these years of fruitless search...Alas, you guys know I tend to overreact a tad, but still, if you take that with a grain of salt, they are kick butt strings. Worth a go!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Awesome, wood! I've been a PB guy for a while, but I'm always game for a new sound!!!

Qualifier: Everyone's ear is different, string choice being wildly subjective...

If you love PBs, these sound like them, but allow more for the natural tone of your Guild. damn, maybe I should have gone into marketing...I could a been somebody. I could a written jingles...

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Based off the Monels that Ibssid I did not care for I find I'm using them once again this time in mixed gauge , just posted a rough take song in members music .. Cheap plug .

But I'm very interested in the new strings and I have also inquired to D'Addario about them going to market ..., wish they will hurry up lol

X-170AB

Reaction score
I wonder how they will work on acoustic-electrics? Perhaps the nickel will mean they will have a stronger signal? The Monels have been a good compromise for a few guitars that I use both acoustically and with a pickup.

merlin6666

Reaction score
I was one of the beta testers and liked them a lot. But I also have a stockpile of EXPs which will last at least a year. But when those are used up I will definitely switch to the NB type. Hope they will also package them into a 12 string configuration.

Alan_M

Reaction score
I got a free set from my Player's Circle points. Put them on my D30 and ... Wow. Usually my reaction to a change to my long used Daddario EJ16 strings is either mild to strong dislike, or "no reason to change", but these blew me away. Super good articulation, clarity, and surprisingly not excessivley bright on a maple backed dread. I love 'em!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I got a free set from my Player's Circle points. Put them on my D30 and ... Wow. Usually my reaction to a change to my long used Daddario EJ16 strings is either mild to strong dislike, or "no reason to change", but these blew me away. Super good articulation, clarity, and surprisingly not excessively bright on a maple backed dread. I love 'em!
THANK YOU! Been thinkin' 'bout givin' 'em a whirl myself, and I got that maple-backed F65ce as well as the D25.
Since you feel exactly the same way as me about EJ-16's, I think I can take some encouragement from your assessment.
Now I gotta go see if they offer extra lights yet (for the F65).

Alan_M

Reaction score
THANK YOU! Been thinkin' 'bout givin' 'em a whirl myself, and I got that maple-backed F65ce as well as the D25.
Since you feel exactly the same way as me about EJ-16's, I think I can take some encouragement from your assessment.
Now I gotta go see if they offer extra lights yet (for the F65).

Yer welcome! And yes, they are "taking pre-orders" on NB1047, EXTRA LIGHT, 10-47.