D'Addario Nickel Bronze Strings

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
For people looking for something brighter than EJ-16/EJ-17, try the GHS Signature Bronze LJ strings. They make a big deal over their "cryogenically treated" process, but I just think that they mess with the core wire/wrap wire ratio. Either way, they seem to be simultaneously brighter, and have better bass.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've never tried these before. Ordered a couple sets online.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update on these strings a couple of weeks in. They still sound goodt on the F50R tuned down 1/2 a step but when you tune to standard tuning they lose their depth and become very tinny. As far as the Orpheum 12 fret OM hog 6 string I think I may have gotten a bad set of strings. A week into them being on the intonation started going on the low "E" and "A" strings. Not a fan of these on the OM at all. I still have 2 sets left but I don't know if I am going to be using them or not. I feel like I get more tone/playing time out of the EJ and EXP sets. It was worth a try though.

TX

I have had some intonation issues of a sort. I'm not so sure it's the strings so much ... Well ok yeah it's the strings but I have the same intonation issues with all the other strings I use .

What I'm realizing is like the Monals and the New NB D'Addarios seem to accentuate the issue . The regular EJ's Exp's I use are more forgiving but it's iff just same , kind of hard to explain .

I find tuning by ear is the only answer besides having a saddle cut for each tuning used or one for a few tunings that are close in key .

On my Cv-1 I like them for finger picking but strumming like on that last song I posted it comes across to bright . Other then that there staying on for me .

I have yet to try them the dread .

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Update, I gave the Nickel Bronzes a few more days on the 000 Orpheum 6 string Hog just to be absolutely sure, and It takes me longer to change strings on it being a Slothead with my bad shoulder. I put EJ-17's back on it tonight and fell in love with this little guitar all over again. It is amazing what a set of strings can do for a guitar. I played it almost every day and night from the time I got it early last month and put some serious hours in on it, Probably close to 30 by now. After switching to the Nickel bronze I maybe picked it up once or twice a week if I was lucky due to the tone not being where it was before. Now that the EJ's are back on it I can't put it down once again. I'm glad it is back to it's glorious self again.

TX

kostask

Reaction score
Many people obsess over bone nuts, fossilized walrus tusk bridge pins, etc., when you can get a more significant change with a string type change or even a pick change.There are major benefits to the tone of a guitar when the optimal set of strings is used, and the right pick is used. Only after that has been achieved should you be looking at the relatively speaking minor tonal improvements from the other types of "tweaks".

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Many people obsess over bone nuts, fossilized walrus tusk bridge pins, etc., when you can get a more significant change with a string type change or even a pick change.There are major benefits to the tone of a guitar when the optimal set of strings is used, and the right pick is used. Only after that has been achieved should you be looking at the relatively speaking minor tonal improvements from the other types of "tweaks".

The first thing I do to all of my acoustics when they arrive if they don't already have it is to install a Bone Nut, Bone Compensated saddle, and Bone bridge pins. I'm not into the fossilized stuff, regular bone works just fine. This also allows me to set up the guitar like I want to play it and from past experience allows me a starting point to get the most out of the guitars from the get go. Those three things I consider as a standard on my acoustic instruments. To me they do make a huge difference in sustain, note articulation, and overall projection of tone. As far as strings I normally run different types depending on what tone woods the guitar has and what tuning I am playing it in so the strings can vary from guitar to guitar.

The Nickel Bronze just were not for me on the Small bodied OM Orpheum. The only other Guitar I have that is that sensitive to the string make up is the 12 string Rosewood version of the OM Orpheum so I have to think it is something to do with the DNA of the two. When you get the right strings on them though, It is pure Heaven.

TX

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Tx, most interesting. It's the Orpheum 12 I was thinking of restringing with these puppies.

Based on all your opinions, I think I'll just proceed with my remaining sets and hold off on the nickel-bronze. I think it's great, period, that D'Addario has come out with another string for us to be focused on. Maybe a certain wood combination will be the "ultimate" use for these.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I really want to try the NB I bought over a week ago now, but I just am so digging the JP Silk and pb strings on my BR, that I do not want to take them off till they are totally dead.
The JP PB silk and steels are so dark yet powerful and pronounced. And on a dark guitar, I guess I just really dig them. All in good time.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tx, most interesting. It's the Orpheum 12 I was thinking of restringing with these puppies.

Based on all your opinions, I think I'll just proceed with my remaining sets and hold off on the nickel-bronze. I think it's great, period, that D'Addario has come out with another string for us to be focused on. Maybe a certain wood combination will be the "ultimate" use for these.

I was talking to Ralf a few weeks ago about how sensitive the Orph 12 String RW is to different strings. I really like coated EXP on mine but I wouldn't be against Trying the NB when they come out with the 12 string set. I use that guitar for mainly finger picking and the NB's did sound good Finger picked on my F50R. They just lost that rich tone when you put a pick to them or tuned them up to standard.

nrand

Reaction score
I found one reasonable demo of these strings on Youtube with a Baby Taylor. I only wish he had A/Bd the guitar with some phosphor bronze as well.
The other Youtube demos were not as useful.
To my ears they sound good but not as warm as Bronze alloys.
I use DR Rares and Curt Mangan 80/20 Bronze on my dreads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hnkrfygHvA

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I found one reasonable demo of these strings on Youtube with a Baby Taylor. I only wish he had A/Bd the guitar with some phosphor bronze as well.
The other Youtube demos were not as useful.
To my ears they sound good but not as warm as Bronze alloys.
I use DR Rares and Curt Mangan 80/20 Bronze on my dreads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hnkrfygHvA

the Rares i have tried but the strings are so hard on my fingers, not sure why. I will look at the Curt Mangan's for sure, thanks for tip

Reaction score
At this point, I have spent extensive time and money on these nickel strings: monels, Pearse nickel and these D'addario Nickel-Bronze. At almost twice the price, I am not getting the attraction for the D'addarios. Nice touch yes. But, honestly -- and this is after lots of time on lots of different guitars, again and again -- the monels just sound way better than any of them. There is growl in the lower midrange/ upper bass around 80-120 hz that the others don't have.

I do like the Pearse as well -- just a nice pedestrian, dependable string. I have those on the D-28 at the moment.

There are times when I want a softer feel but a bit bigger gauge than the monel lights (with that .015 "b" string that I am not in love with) and then I will throw a set of D'addario on -- but I am always disappointed.

There was a time when I had only nickel strings on all guitars. At the moment, only my Hummingbird and Guild F-47M have PB strings on (EJ16 on the Bird, and Martin Lifespan on the Guild).

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
At this point, I have spent extensive time and money on these nickel strings: monels, Pearse nickel and these D'addario Nickel-Bronze. At almost twice the price, I am not getting the attraction for the D'addarios. Nice touch yes. But, honestly -- and this is after lots of time on lots of different guitars, again and again -- the monels just sound way better than any of them. There is growl in the lower midrange/ upper bass around 80-120 hz that the others don't have.

I do like the Pearse as well -- just a nice pedestrian, dependable string. I have those on the D-28 at the moment.

There are times when I want a softer feel but a bit bigger gauge than the monel lights (with that .015 "b" string that I am not in love with) and then I will throw a set of D'addario on -- but I am always disappointed.

There was a time when I had only nickel strings on all guitars. At the moment, only my Hummingbird and Guild F-47M have PB strings on (EJ16 on the Bird, and Martin Lifespan on the Guild).

I feel your pain. I have no go to set of strings anymore. It is like not having a go to beer. First world problems but a pebble in the shoe nonetheless.

I plan on giving the Curt Mangun 80/20s next. On the Santa Cruz. I know they have their own strings but I am not a coated string fan.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Interesting review, Howard. I might give the Monels a try. I wanted to love the D'Addario NB's, but over time, I didn't.

walrus