What reissues/models would you like to see in the Newark Street Line?

DThomasC

Reaction score
That's interesting about your ES 335. I'm sure I've never heard of one like that before, but I'm no Gibson history buff.

I think routed out of a solid block can be ok. To my ears the solid top can be more organic than plywood with a massive center block. My Corona Bluesbird sounds (to me) distinctly more vibrant than a slab of maple on a solid block of mahogany, and I'd like to find that approach taken even farther. I love my Nightbird, but I think they really chickened out when it came to removing material for chambering.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I imagine that with the Nightbird Guiid/Gruhn didn't want to stray far from Les Paul (or solidbody Bluesbird) territory. Personally I agree with you, though. Most folks looking for an LP type guitar are at least as much interested in the headstock logos as the instrument itself. If you're not Gibson you might as well do something clearly different. This is in fact one reason why I'm glad Cordoba is making a Thunderbird reissue!

-Dave-

dbirchett

Reaction score
Now that the Thunderbirds/Bluesbirds are out, I'm going to list a few I see as possibilities:

• Starfire XII
• DE-400/500 (With real DeArmond pickups)
• Pilot Bass
• Carved-top S-100
• X-170 with HB-1s
• Starfire III with DeArmonds
• 6 String Thunderbird Bass/Baritone
• Sunburst option for X-175B
• More color options

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Did Guild ever make a Strat type guitar with three single coils ? I think they did in the 80s, with some of those bright colored pointy things. It seems the big sellers in electrics has always been the Strat configuration and the Les Paul configuration.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I hope they put a phase switch on the HB-1 equipped S-100. To my great surprise the reversed polarity thing has been my go-to sound on my '73. Neck pickup full up, bridge volume dialed back just to the point where the low end fills in a bit. Sounds amazingly like a Jazzmaster with both p'ups on.

-Dave-

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Did Guild ever make a Strat type guitar with three single coils ? I think they did in the 80s, with some of those bright colored pointy things. It seems the big sellers in electrics has always been the Strat configuration and the Les Paul configuration.

They did a few with three singles, here are two from my collection:

Kodak052.jpg

Picture015_zps48b8f336.jpg

Then of course they did a few "Super Strat" configurations:

Liberater-Elite.jpg

100_6344.jpg

kakerlak

Reaction score
My Gibson 335 is a '74, with the trapeze tailpiece replaced by a stoptail. In this guitar the center block extends only from the butt end to just above the bridge. The rest is hollow. It has a decent acoustic sound for a semi, which is partly why I chose it. I haven't played any modern 335s as lightly built as this one or with the same degree of air in their amplified sound.

But I'm guessing chambering in the upcoming Bluesbird is of the "routed out of solid wood" variety.

-Dave-

My dad had an ES-325 of about the same vintage and it was built the same way -- block from the tail to just under the bridge. If my recollection of "Hans tidbits" is correct, I think some M-75s got built that way in between the older, all hollow ones and newer, all solid ones.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
My dad had an ES-325 of about the same vintage and it was built the same way -- block from the tail to just under the bridge. If my recollection of "Hans tidbits" is correct, I think some M-75s got built that way in between the older, all hollow ones and newer, all solid ones.

I think it's a good "tweener" way of doing it. You've got some solidbody in there, but the two wings can still exchange air with each other. Makes a decent rationalization anyway. ;)

-Dave-

kakerlak

Reaction score
I think artist-signature models might be less likely, since they probably mean renegotiating endorsement deals with the artist (Duane Eddy) or his estate (Merle Travis). For a "fringe" company like Guild, that seems unlikely.

There are some small makers out there making Country-Western kitsch stuff in the Bigsby/Mosrite style the last few years, though, and there might be a market for a Travis model w/o the Artist's name. Probably talking like 2-5 guitars a year, though and they'd be pricey.

hagmeat

Reaction score
I would love to buy a new JS2 with the new Guild Bisonic pickups and a better bridge than the old hagstrom ones.