The "Before" Picture

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ADDED A NEW UPDATE PICTURE...

I added some new pictures of the music room build at the end of the thread!

Ya'll might remember a few months back I posted that we were looking for a home with a building that I could convert to a music studio. Well, we were able to find something we like and we closed on Friday.

So here's the "before" picture:

garage_zps7vuvmdl5.jpg

It's about 700 sq. ft. and I will probably use about 450 for my project. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Best wishes with the project Dave, plenty of space there! I'm guessing that there will be a fair amount of acoustical work to be done?

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dave, that ROCKS! Serious space. Congrats. Place looks brand new?!?!

No, Charlie. The outbuilding is newer than the house (1986 vintage) but still a couple of years old.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Color me jealous Dave. That is an awesome space! So when are you moving? I had no idea you were looking for another house, congrats! (and more pics!) ;)

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Best wishes with the project Dave, plenty of space there! I'm guessing that there will be a fair amount of acoustical work to be done?

Yeah, Sandy. There's a lot of work to be done. I want to minimize (within a reasonable budget) sound transmission to the outside. And then the inside will get an acoustic treatment, as well. I envision a "room-within-a-room" concept. But as of today its a blank canvas.

Maybe it would be a good place for an LTG jam during Central Florida Guitar Show time next year? Could happen...

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Color me jealous Dave. That is an awesome space! So when are you moving? I had no idea you were looking for another house, congrats! (and more pics!) ;)

We're moving now, Pascal. Pam and I are taking all that we can this weekend, then we'll let the pros come in tomorrow and get everything else packed and moved. We're only moving about a mile and a half, as the crow flies.

Neal

Reaction score
Super, Dave.

I have been pondering three different spaces I have at my house that could serve a similar purpose. Attic, basement, garage. All three have drawbacks, in terms of mechanical noise, climate control, accessibility, and acoustics.

The attic is wonderful acoustically, but unheated/uncooled, and accessible only by a pull down stairway.

The basement is comfortable, but noisy, with heating/cooling mechanicals, and plumbing noise to contend with.

The garage is spacious and isolated (much like the space you are converting), but without heating and cooling, and currently with a gravel floor. It would need a sizeable cash investment.

Thoughts.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Dave! Can't wait to hear how it turns out! I dig the room in a room idea. There is a ton of info out there on the net as to how to do it while maximizing the air volume in your recording space and isolating the sound waves from escaping. This is the kind of thing you can Nerd Out on for ever! Congrats on the move as well. Hope everything goes well!:peach:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, Dave, that's just pretty awesome! So much space, and it looks clean and ready to be worked on. Congrats on the new place. Like tx, says, this is a project you can dork out on for a while. Moving sucks, but acquiring some serious space like this would certainly mitigate some of the awfulness. :encouragement:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow, Dave, that's just pretty awesome! So much space, and it looks clean and ready to be worked on. Congrats on the new place. Like tx, says, this is a project you can dork out on for a while. Moving sucks, but acquiring some serious space like this would certainly mitigate some of the awfulness. :encouragement:

Thanks! I can dork out with the best of them, too.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
All kinds of potential there, Dave. Congratulations, and good luck with the project.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, Sandy. There's a lot of work to be done. I want to minimize (within a reasonable budget) sound transmission to the outside. And then the inside will get an acoustic treatment, as well. I envision a "room-within-a-room" concept. But as of today its a blank canvas.

Maybe it would be a good place for an LTG jam during Central Florida Guitar Show time next year? Could happen...

I'm definitely down for that Dave! Best wishes with the project.

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I envy you. That looks to be a seriously fun project to both plan and build. Do keep us posted!