7 Things They Didn’t Tell Me When I Started Playing Guitar

cutrofiano

Reaction score
treufire.com said:
6. You’ll have to come up with your own definition of success

A good friend once said to me:

There is always someone that can do better.
There is even someone who can sit on a sofa better than you.
That's not what makes the difference...

Moritz

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
[h=3]3. Playing under the influence actually makes it harder[/h]While that is true, the last time I got complimented on my playing was when I had enough scotch to know it but not so much that DWI was a possibility. I tend to minimize risk, so will play conservatively - fear of klunkers - and in this case the effect of the scotch was that I decided I just didn't care so was playing what I heard and not what I knew was safe. On the other hand, there is a regrettable story involving being under the influence with a sousaphone in a marching band....

[h=3]7. There’s a lot of crap to carry[/h]
And it gets heaver when you get older...

Opsimath

Reaction score
1. There will never be enough guitars

Just last week I was called a junkie by the lady who has her lesson after mine, she has only one guitar, but now I think I understand. I am not a junkie, just more appreciative of the different voices of different instruments.

Alan_M

Reaction score
Funny, with very minor tweaks, this same list can be taken and slapped on an article called "7 Things They Didn’t Tell Me When I Started Surfing"! I've been blessed/cursed with both the music and surfing bug for my entire adult life. There is a lot of joy and heartache in both.

griehund

Reaction score
1. There will never be enough guitars

Just last week I was called a junkie by the lady who has her lesson after mine, she has only one guitar, but now I think I understand. I am not a junkie, just more appreciative of the different voices of different instruments.

I have four guitars. When I play one I feel sad for the other three being left out. So, I try to play all four in the course of a week. Adding another would add severe angst because I feel connected to each of them as if they are part of my personal existence. Each one is worthy of my attention. On the other hand I'm weird and proud of it.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow, it's like I've just had my horoscope read ;-)

I've been playing, collecting, fussing, devoting my life to a "few guitars" for a few decades and hope to have many more. Whether I own them or not, I'm a caretaker of fine vintage guitars as they come my way though life, and I will try to make any playable for a friend, regardless of pedigree. In retrospect, I'd have to say I'm seriously guitar crazy, have been since I was in my teens in the 70's.

I even play them, sometimes ;-)

Anyway, the junkie thing is just too funny...

One thing is for sure, for me, while playing guitar has been a really important part of my life that really took off around 1980 (when I started to go Electric and playing lead, really changed my life, and I got obsessed with it), but it's not the just music that really gets me, it's the GAS.

It's the buying/selling/trading, the thrill of the chase, restoring (I'm a born tinkerer, when I'm not fixing something, I'm inventing something), really just really a long road to my dream instruments, which I am still walking. To me, it is an escape from the whatevers of life, you just about forget about everything else, and that's a good thing because it allows you to focus, and learn about yourself in the process.

You know, I'm here because I'm waiting for a guitar in the mail, and last night when I went to sleep, all I have to do is think about "that" guitar, and it's like you're on a high... like dreaming about a girl, puppy love in high school...

Yep, definitely a little guitar crazy.

You can probably get a prescription for that...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Nope, this is above and beyond pharmacology....no cure for what ails us. :devilish:

Joe

I understand some amazing results have been achieved with bagpipes.

NEPA-slide-2.gif