New Member - 1960/61 Guild Starfire III - case?

Reaction score
Hi all, I have an original 1960/61 Guild Starfire III semi-acoustic and am looking for a very hard touring case. Any suggestions? I have tried Hiscox with very little luck. Has anyone else been able to get a Hiscox or similar case for their Guild Starfire III. The Bigsby whammy bar is always the problem... I don't want a standard Guild case because they're not strong enough for flights, touring etc. Thanks in advance.

Sal

Reaction score
Sorry I can't help on this one Robbie but I want to extend a warm welcome and I hope you'll stick around. Cheers!

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
There are a number of companies that build custom touring cases...pretty much that is going to be your only option to fit your needs...Guild did not make flight cases...good luck.

kostask

Reaction score
I don't know how close a Starfire III is to an ES335, but if they are not too different dimensionally, something like this may fit:

http://www.skbcases.com/music/produ...=by+gear&type=4&brand=Gibson&model=335+Series

or this:

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/16278-2460/gtsa-gtr335

The Gator case is showing a "universal nest" for the guitar, They also have a variety of rectangular ATA (i.e. flight type) cases. A custom case will always fit best, but is also more expensive and time consuming to have made.

It all comes down to dimensions of the Starfire III.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know how close a Starfire III is to an ES335

I seem to recall some discussion that suggests the only Starfires that are even close, case wise, to a ES335 are the GSR Starfires. I'd love to have my memory corrected...

kostask

Reaction score
Like I said, I don't know how close they are, but I'm sure that the (Archtop/Hollowbody) or (Solidbody/Chambered) parts of the board would know how much of a difference there is in dimensions. If the Starfire is smaller, the ES335 cases may still work.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome, Robbie! How about some pix of your guitar?

walrus

jcwu

Reaction score
I use an Epiphone Dot case (same shape/size as a 335) for my T100 (same shape as the earlier Starfires), and the case is a pretty good fit. Just one more datapoint.

NoPicks

Reaction score
I use an Epiphone Dot case (same shape/size as a 335)

Except for the length of the headstock. Epi Dots will not fit properly in a standard dimension 335 case from TKL etc. The headstock is about ¼" too long. It's possible to just barely wedge a Dot in place but putting that sort of 'preload' on the already vulnerable headstock is asking for trouble IMHO. Even after an extensive search, the only reasonably affordable case I found that will fit an Epi Dot was an Epi case made specifically for the Dot series

Keep in mind that a reasonably handy person can rework the interior padding of an otherwise suitable case to fit an instrument that doesn't fit with the case in stock condition. I've done this once already for an Alvarez Jumbo 12-string. Got a TKL sold for a Gibson ES-175 (all dimensions perfect except for the foam 'hump' in the bottom of the case that took up too much of the available thickness), carefully peeled back the lining and removed the hump, then carefully glued the lining back in place. The fit is dead-on perfect now

Unless I can find a correctly fitting case for my F-112, I'm probably going to have to do the same for that particular guitar. She's stored in a crapola cardboard special right now......

dbirchett

Reaction score
Don't know about a Dot but my Epi Sheraton II made by Unsung (HUGE headstock!!!) fit just fine into the SKB 335 case with the TSA locks. I checked my Gretsch Electromatic 12 string with the long 12 string peg head and it fit as well.

81F2gBGlTAL._SL1500_.jpg

I don't think that it will fit a Guild due to the wider lower bout.

Last edited: