Lady Gaga's National Anthem

Is it acceptable to change the melody of the National Anthem?

• Yes, it's fine by me:

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • No, they should sing it as it's written:

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Awesome, Tom! That reminds me of some of the PDQ Bach sheet music I've read over the years. Frikkin' funny!

You too? I actually got to sing under the direction of Peter Schickele. Half of the concert was works composed by Peter Schickele and the other half was works of P.D.Q. Bach "discovered" by Peter Schickele.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:) Some really funny stuff. Some of it quite brilliant.

I've seen Peter S. perform PDQ Bach with an orchestra, but I honestly cannot remember if I was ever under his direction. God, the brain cells really are starting to fade.

guildman63

Reaction score
Didn't some guy named Jimmie or something once do something like this somewhere?

Lady Gaga sang the song with an occasional and brief melodic substitution. Jimi thrashed around in a convulsive episode and occasionally (probably by mistake) found the melody for brief moments.:highly_amused: Jimi is still the man!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Lady Gaga sang the song with an occasional and brief melodic substitution. Jimi thrashed around in a convulsive episode and occasionally (probably by mistake) found the melody for brief moments.:highly_amused: Jimi is still the man!
Acknowledging your humorous intent, I still need to jump to Jimi's defense and point out that it was a sound painting deliberately intended to evoke the sounds of the battlefield about which it was originally composed.
Note the screaming crescendo right after "rocket's red glare"
That's actually an incredible rendition of the sound of gunpowder powered flight and shrapnel tearing metal after the rocket's impact.
He said in an interview he had our troops in Viet Nam in mind when he decided to perform it that way.
And there were more than a few vets present at Woodstock. I don't recall ever seeing any footage of one of them expressing offense.
It was a tribute and was evolving into "Machine Gun", itself a message of sympathy for soldiers everywhere.
Don't forget Jimi did time in the 101st Airborne and was actually a genuine patriot. He loved America in spite of its flaws..
It's just that conservative America at the time didn't understand what it was, much like traditional art critics didn't understand Van Gogh or Picasso or Stravinsky when they were breaking new ground.
He also did a cavalry battle complete with the sound of horses screaming and dying in a version of "I Don't Live Today", "dedicated to the American Indian" the one on Radio ONE if I recall correctly.
In comparison Roseanne's version of the anthem was definitely an insult.
<end of editorial>

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Like Sandy, I am not a Lady Gaga fan and I was ready to experience a terrible rendition. I've gotta say though, I was pleasantly surprised. I actually prefer the song be done without all the flair, like the way a Military Chorus might sing it but all in all, I thought it wasn't bad at all.

I was surprised she could sing. It used to bug me when they changed the melody, added notes, whatever. Now, I'm resigned to the fact that it's pervasive. I care less.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Acknowledging your humorous intent, I still need to jump to Jimi's defense and point out that it was a sound painting deliberately intended to evoke the sounds of the battlefield about which it was originally composed.
Note the screaming crescendo right after "rocket's red glare"
That's actually an incredible rendition of the sound of gunpowder powered flight and shrapnel tearing metal after the rocket's impact.
He said in an interview he had our troops in Viet Nam in mind when he decided to perform it that way.
And there were more than a few vets present at Woodstock. I don't recall ever seeing any footage of one of them expressing offense.
It was a tribute and was evolving into "Machine Gun", itself a message of sympathy for soldiers everywhere.
Don't forget Jimi did time in the 101st Airborne and was actually a genuine patriot. He loved America in spite of its flaws..
It's just that conservative America at the time didn't understand what it was, much like traditional art critics didn't understand Van Gogh or Picasso or Stravinsky when they were breaking new ground.
He also did a cavalry battle complete with the sound of horses screaming and dying in a version of "I Don't Live Today", "dedicated to the American Indian" the one on Radio ONE if I recall correctly.
In comparison Roseanne's version of the anthem was definitely an insult.
<end of editorial>

spot on Al, spot on :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
+1. Al.

Performed on August 18, 1969. Think about that for a second. More than 46 years ago. Played without digital effects like we have today, just pure mind-blowing Hendrix.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
+1. Al.

Performed on August 18, 1969. Think about that for a second. More than 46 years ago. Played without digital effects like we have today, just pure mind-blowing Hendrix.

walrus

Thanks, and "Right".
It occurs to me a lot of today's digital effects were created to try to recreate what he did with sheer analog genius, and of course a little help from Roger Mayer his "tech". We used to say "he knew how to play his amp".
Not to digress too far but it's also true that it was easy for conservative mainstream America to misinterpret his intent at the festival in those times of sharp polarization between the hawks and doves and hippies vs "the system".
And I realize the version of "I Don't Live Today" I was thinking of is on the "Box Set", not "Radio One"

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Not to digress too far but it's also true that it was easy for conservative mainstream America to misinterpret his intent at the festival in those times of sharp polarization between the hawks and doves and hippies vs "the system".
To paraphrase....
Time it was and what a time, it was it was....

Joe

Last edited: