Lady Gaga's National Anthem

Is it acceptable to change the melody of the National Anthem?

• Yes, it's fine by me:

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • No, they should sing it as it's written:

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
BTW, the timing of the fighter jets going over as Gaga sang "brave..." was awesome!

walrus

It sure was.

And courtesy of ESPN, here's how they do it.

Forgot to add - the Navy F-18's that did the flyover for Army vs. Navy, 2015 edition, formed up south of me and flew over the house in diamond formation at about 700 feet.

That get's your attention ....

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
BTW, the timing of the fighter jets going over as Gaga sang "brave..." was awesome!

walrus

It was so Awesome to see the Blue Angels do the flyover. After Congress cut Military funding for "Advertising" you almost never see the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds do flyovers at Games or Races anymore. That was an awesome moment in itself, Reminded me of my Pops, He always loved the Blue Angels.

guildman63

Reaction score
I thought she sang it pretty straight and with a great deal of respect, not to mention talent. That was one of the best performances of the National Anthem I have ever heard.

jcwu

Reaction score
Yes, she altered it, but in this day and age where many artists have taken much greater liberties, my wife and I appreciated her rendition, and our feelings both were along the lines of, "Wow, we're surprised she stuck to a traditional take on the anthem!"

guildman63

Reaction score
I'm still not hearing any significant changes. She changed one or two octaves for a note or two, and altered maybe two notes. Otherwise, she kept the timing and melody virtually unchanged and barely had any vocal runs. To me that was as traditional as one can sing it without treating it like the classical piece it is not. Oh well, to each their own. :peaceful:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I missed the live performance - the owner of the remote was having trouble setting things up to record Downton Abbey - but I will note that the melody was first known as a drinking song. If I hear a rendition that I don't like I just remember that what I heard was the drinking song and not the US National Anthem.

:)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Given her time spent with Tony Bennett, it's not surprising Lady Gaga can pull off "traditional" if she wants to...

Joe, there's nothing in that Roseanne version that resembles the national anthem, so I don't think that counts as a "version". :dispirited:

walrus

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
BTW, the timing of the fighter jets going over as Gaga sang "brave..." was awesome! walrus
This detail was nothing short of amazing! I've been wondering myself, was it just coincidence or was the lead pilot listening to the song and timing the pass to make it happen right on the last note.... absolutely mind bogging.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have to agree. She absolutely KILLED IT!!! That lady can SING!! Everyone embellishes these days. I'm not a huge fan, but if it's done well, I'm okay with it.

3cvfhQ.jpg
Awesome, Tom! That reminds me of some of the PDQ Bach sheet music I've read over the years. Frikkin' funny!

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just watched it for the first time on youtube at work. WOW! That was the very best version I have ever seen. Her voice is incredible, and I would never have known as I would never listen to someone with a name like that. And I loved the classy tribute to the troops while singing "brave...". That whole song was just amazing.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
She wouldn't be the first person with enormous talent, that's had break into the music business with a gimmick. I started coming around full circle with her the first time I became aware she hooked up with Tony B. I was actually really looking forward to she how she'd do on Sunday. One of the all time best, if not the best!