Lady Gaga's National Anthem

Is it acceptable to change the melody of the National Anthem?

• Yes, it's fine by me:

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • No, they should sing it as it's written:

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So over on the TalkBass forum we are discussing Lady Gaga's rendition of the National Anthem. Like most "famous" people that sing it before large sporting events these days, she altered the melody and "made it her own".

Do you find this acceptable, or disrespectful if not disgraceful?

Just for a technical point of reference I am posting this link:

http://popbitch.com/home/2015/01/29/oh-say-can-you-sing/

And for our non-US members, does this happen in your country with your anthem?

Last edited:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Let's just say, I was expecting worse... so was pleasantly surprised that she maintained most of the melody and timing.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think the National Anthem should be left alone as it's hard enough to sing as it is, but she didn't change it enough for it to be objectionable IMO. While I'm not much of a Lady Gaga fan, there's no doubt that she's a very talented lady.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I heard it was great, but I missed it as I was surfing the LTG on my phone, while pouring a Guinness draft in the kitchen. I am guessing I win then?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
She was great. I'm not a fan of the Grammy's any more (I don't know any of the "artists"), but she is supposedly going to do a tribute to David Bowie next week. I will find a link and watch that the next day, and I'm guessing I will enjoy it.

walrus

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Like Sandy, I am not a Lady Gaga fan and I was ready to experience a terrible rendition. I've gotta say though, I was pleasantly surprised. I actually prefer the song be done without all the flair, like the way a Military Chorus might sing it but all in all, I thought it wasn't bad at all.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
IMO songs are meant to be interpreted…which can include alteration & improv. I still remember hearing José Feliciano's rendition of the Nat. Anthem prior to a World Series (baseball) game in 1968. (A Series my hometown team won. Go get 'em, Detroit Tigers!) My 8 year old self thought it was terrific, and I still do.

Then, of course, there's this:

http://youtu.be/sjzZh6-h9fM

-Dave-

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Let's just say, I was expecting worse... so was pleasantly surprised that she maintained most of the melody and timing.

In fact, I liked Lady gaga's Star Spangled Banner better than the Armed Forces Choir's rendition of America the Beautiful...

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I watched the game till after the halftime show (no Guild with Coldplay...), had to go to bed afterwards as it was 3am at that time.
I thought Lady Gaga did well. Let's at least post the video if you have a poll:

Ralf

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I thought she did an Excellent job on the National Anthem. I was worried it would be a disaster but she did a very unique and respectful job in my opinion. I don't look at it as an artist making it their own or trying to change it, I look at it as an Artists interpretation of how they hear it, what it means to them, and how it touches them as a vocalist and a person. Then again, I absolutely love Marvin Gaye's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner from the 1983 NBA All Star game. It is one of my Favorites of all time.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I thought she killed it. In a good way.
I have to agree. She absolutely KILLED IT!!! That lady can SING!! Everyone embellishes these days. I'm not a huge fan, but if it's done well, I'm okay with it.

3cvfhQ.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
BTW, the timing of the fighter jets going over as Gaga sang "brave..." was awesome!

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Everyone embellishes these days. I'm not a huge fan, but if it's done well, I'm okay with it.
3cvfhQ.jpg
I stepped out for a minute. Due to lack of interest didn't care to observe, but I just noticed the "performing notes" in that sheet, "time is not really an issue here", hilarious, love it!