One For Pascal

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
No, but I take highway 2 across the UP to get to Shell Lake, Wisconsin where I was born and raised. Wonderful country.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
That Serge Gainsborough person looks like one of the original Small Faces...from the mid sixties!

He didn't play with them did he? And why is he famous...or notable?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That Serge Gainsborough person looks like one of the original Small Faces...from the mid sixties!

He didn't play with them did he? And why is he famous...or notable?

He was way cooler than anyone from the Small Faces (including Rod) Bill, but i'll leave it up to our resident Gallic expert to fill you in on the rest.
icon_wink.gif

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
WAs that Citroen ever sold here in the US?

The car in the picture is a DS Cabriolet (convertible), Charlie, and I think they sold some of them here as well. Most of the cars you saw here were the sedans, and my parent's best friends owned two of them when I was young, like this one.

1972-ds21-1.jpg

They had the coolest interiors, too, featuring a single spoke steering wheel, and the most comfy front seats ever.

Citroen_DS_002.jpg

They also had a hydraulic suspension that could raise and lower the car at will. Rode like you were on a cloud!

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
He was way cooler than anyone from the Small Faces (including Rod) Bill, but i'll leave it up to our resident Gallic expert to fill you in on the rest.
icon_wink.gif

Certainly not cooler than...dare I mention him?...Jacques Brel???

I just stumbled upon a 3-record boxed set of his, in perfect condition, at the Salvation Army store of all things. I think it was a French release

"Ah Marieke, Marieke..."

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Certainly not cooler than...dare I mention him?...Jacques Brel???

I just stumbled upon a 3-record boxed set of his, in perfect condition, at the Salvation Army store of all things. I think it was a French release

"Ah Marieke, Marieke..."

Way cooler than Jacques Brel in my estimation Bill, although Jacques was cool too. Serge (born Lucien Ginsberg) was the consummate master of the double entendre, and lived his life completely on his own terms. Would that we all could.

Perhaps my favorite version of one of his songs is Madeleine Peyroux's cover of his "La Javanaise". I saw her do it live recently, and it was magnificent!

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Ah Marieke, Marieke..."
Oh wow.... thanks for that memory, Bill!! It's a good one!!

Oh and p.s. - that single spoke steering wheel in the Citroen captured this young boys heart back in the day!! I was MESMERIZED by the whole concept. And I still love it today!! But I had to satisfy myself with Cadillacs and Buicks.... not that there's anything wrong with that.... LMAO!! :hypnotysed:

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The car in the picture is a DS Cabriolet (convertible), Charlie, and I think they sold some of them here as well. Most of the cars you saw here were the sedans, and my parent's best friends owned two of them when I was young, like this one.

1972-ds21-1.jpg

They had the coolest interiors, too, featuring a single spoke steering wheel, and the most comfy front seats ever.

Citroen_DS_002.jpg

They also had a hydraulic suspension that could raise and lower the car at will. Rode like you were on a cloud!

Wonderful stuff, Sandy. Oh, yeah, we used to see the sedans quite a bit. I had a music camp counselor who owned one. Not surprisingly, he also had the largest collection of trumpets and mouthpieces I'd ever seen. What a cool guy. These days, he's into BMWs... sadly. :)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wonderful stuff, Sandy. Oh, yeah, we used to see the sedans quite a bit. I had a music camp counselor who owned one. Not surprisingly, he also had the largest collection of trumpets and mouthpieces I'd ever seen. What a cool guy. These days, he's into BMWs... sadly. :)

There must be some correlation between Citroens and BMWs. My parent's friends that has the DS drove it until Citroen ceased importing cars to America. They scrapped it when the engine blew a head gasket and it was too hard to get parts, and find someone to work on it. They keep the seats when they junked the car, and put them in their basement, and I used to love and go sit in them. You would literally sink in!

After that, Sam bought a BMW 2002tii, and I was smitten! What a great car. I've always wanted an '02, but only had VW money back then, so I got an A1 GTI. That's me with the bad hair and glasses, circa 1984 or so.

12491851_10208631515851253_6751162217844075150_o.jpg

No A/C, no power steering or windows, and about 2000 pounds all in. Man, I loved that car, and would have one again if I could find one that hasn't rusted back into its elements.

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Charlie, you could probably count the number of convertible DS's still "alive" today on the fingers of one hand, hence the price tag as reflected here:
https://www.classic-trader.com/us/cars/listing/citroen/ds/ds-21-chapron/1969/6676

However, the sedan can still be had within a more modest budget, of course all depending on how well conserved it is.
Here is a pristine example with some nice close ups: (in NY, maybe Sandy can go check it out for you?) :cool-new:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Citroen-Oth...e9318d7d:g:n6sAAOSwk1JWcIMm&item=291675147645

As I said on previous threads about this car, any attempt at describing the ride quality of this car won't even begin to convey the feeling you would actually have riding it.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow!! A LOT of great photos of BOTH of those cars!! That's how I like to spend my Sunday morning!! I'll take either one. I just wanna sink down into those seats!! :encouragement:

Another French contribution that had KILLER seats, is Peugeot!! Of course, Peugeot took over Citroen completely in 1975 I believe, so, it makes sense. Seems the French are really good at comfort, among other things!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
As I said on previous threads about this car, any attempt at describing the ride quality of this car won't even begin to convey the feeling you would actually have riding it.
Is that the one the farmer could take his eggs to market in, without breaking them, while sitting on them?
A buddy of mine's family had one of those in high school and as a member of the film club made an 8mm film of the car "hopping", using stop-action, probably 7 or 8 years before low-riders caught onto hydraulics.

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I hitchhiked around Europe a lot in the 60s and had occasion to ride in a few of those big sedans.
They set a precedent for comfort that has not been matched in all the intervening years. Actually, nothing's come close! :peaceful:

Joe

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Is that the one the farmer could take his eggs to market in, without breaking them, while sitting on them?
The egg basket gimmick was a commercial made to demonstrate the merit of the 2cv suspensions (still a Citroen), mostly in an effort to appeal to the farmers or other residents of the country side who needed a vehicle that would handle the dirt roads and trails pretty well, and the 2cv was doing just that, but cannot be compared to the DS. It was much bouncier.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The egg basket gimmick was a commercial made to demonstrate the merit of the 2cv suspensions (still a Citroen), mostly in an effort to appeal to the farmers or other residents of the country side who needed a vehicle that would handle the dirt roads and trails pretty well, and the 2cv was doing just that, but cannot be compared to the DS. It was much bouncier.
Right. In the 2cv you didn't dare sit on the eggs.
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
:biggrin-new: