A rare Martin on loan from the Martin museum is destroyed on movie set

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have very little respect for Tarantino. He's such a posturing, pretentious, &^%(*&&^%. My opinion is less now.

I'm also disappointed in Martin's response of "Do you need another one?" Kowtowing just because its in a movie. Disgusting.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chris, I AGREE!!! By saying, "Do you want another one?" they're just cowtowing to this inflated ego that's totally irresponsible AND basically saying, "You wanna wreck another one? They're really not that valuable." It pure ugliness on both sides..... my opinion. But who knows, it may have been insured for millions and Martin can get a payout and buy more old Martins. Off my soapbox now..... sorta.

F312

Reaction score
What we have here is...ignorance of the dumb downers.
Ralph

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here is my take on this. First off I absolutely hate it when someone smashes a Guitar no matter what the make or value. That is one more instrument that won't find it's way into the hands of someone who desperately wants a guitar to play or learn how to play. The fact that this one was a Museum piece that could not be replaced makes it even more sickening.

Now for my take on Martin's Response and Martin Collectors in General. Let's think about this for a minute from a purely non emotional view. Martin had that guitar insured I am sure for at least three times the value before they let it out of the museum. This means that Martin will be making money hand over fist on this deal. Now all of the surviving models of this guitar that are in private hands just jumped in value considerably because whether we like it or not, One of them has now been destroyed which means there is documentation that there is one less of them in existence. Collectors Guitar values Just went up, Martin is going to make 3 times what the guitar was actually worth, and they are having the pieces returned to them so that they can display what is left in their museum as "The Martin that Kurt Russell Destroyed in The Hateful Eight". Just my opinion on the matter for what it is worth.

TX

Last edited:

tommym

Reaction score
From the UNOFFICIAL MARTIN GUITAR FORUM.....I hope they don't mind me posting it here.

Facebook comment from Dick Boak: That's not the true story! We were told that there was an accident on the set. We didn't know it was in the script. We certainly didn't ask if they wanted another one. We did ask for the pieces to see whether we could salvage anything. We couldn't! We got paid a fraction of its value because we had it on our books for what we originally acquired the instrument for. This is very upsetting!

And this Dick Boak: After this incident, there are no future loans allowed by Chris Martin.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have very little respect for Tarantino. He's such a posturing, pretentious, &^%(*&&^%. My opinion is less now.

I'm also disappointed in Martin's response of "Do you need another one?" Kowtowing just because its in a movie. Disgusting.

+1. QT represents the worst of pretentious Hollywood.

walrus

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Insurance payout at original purchase price or not...I hope Martin's legal team sends a strong message to 'the industry' and goes after them...big time. And I hope they update the coverage on their remaining priceless instruments.

Mr. Martin kindly offered to let me hold and briefly play the millionth Martin at NAMM the first year they brought it there...the next year it was behind glass and now it's a museum piece...I cannot imagine that nice man allowing ANY funny business for a stupid movie...I hope all musicians who patronize the movie industry...I don't...decide to boycott...hit them in their overinflated bank accts...and egos.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Martin is either recanting their response, or it had been misreported.
Here's Martin's latest, correct (?), response; a little more sane.
https://reverb.com/blog/cf-martin-r...n-of-145-year-old-guitar-on-hateful-eight-set

I have another theory if you listen to the "Jim Jones on Botany Bay by Jennifer Jason Leigh" video on the Martin Response link. The poor guitar couldn't take anymore of the torturous singing by Jennifer Jason Leigh and in an act desperation jumped out of her arms and smashed itself against the wall ultimately committing suicide to relieve itself of the pain.:shocked:

TX

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have another theory if you listen to the "Jim Jones on Botany Bay by Jennifer Jason Leigh" video on the Martin Response link. The poor guitar couldn't take anymore of the torturous singing by Jennifer Jason Leigh and in an act desperation jumped out of her arms and smashed itself against the wall ultimately committing suicide to relieve itself of the pain.:shocked:

TX
My question is: why on earth did they need an historic Martin in the first place? Why not have a copy built? Especially if they were planning on having to smash one in the first place. It makes the filming easier, no continuity break.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My question is: why on earth did they need an historic Martin in the first place? Why not have a copy built? Especially if they were planning on having to smash one in the first place. It makes the filming easier, no continuity break.
It's Quentin Tarantino:
Reservoir Dogs
Death Proof
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill volumes 1 and 2

He'd use real blood if he could, in fact.....who knows? Maybe he does..

idealassets

Reaction score
This movie was somewhat intriguing and perhaps equally repulsive. Like for instance not only did a guitar get smashed, but also how many times did Domergue get smashed in the face? I'm astonished that aspect didn't come up for comment somewhere.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sorry to be in the minority here, guys. I love Tarantino's movies. I've always enjoyed the mix of Western violence with Eastern martial arts... But this has definitely tainted things for me.