Guild Sighting - CBS Sunday Morning

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Anthony Mason interviews Coldplay's Chris Martin on today's edition of Sunday Morning, and in the background is this (from a screen grab of the video):

Last edited:

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Very important and maybe by design for Guild Guitars. Their flagship Guitar, Coldplay's (hottest band in America) upcoming Super Bowl appearance and finally the production and distribution of USA made Guild's. I don't ever recall such a prominent display of a Guild on a national tv program.

This is good!!!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe fortuitous, but if intentional, why have the Fender bass in the pic? Just sayin'.

I'm not sure it is intentional, or if it is, whether it was how Guild Guitars intended. Ignoring the alternative definitions of "flagship guitar", if I were a Marketing Weasel angling for product placement, I would place something that people can walk into the store today and buy new and I don't think the pictured guitar comes close to qualifying.

I also have to say, that a lot of people are not going to recognize the Guild logo/headstock so this picture is preaching to the choir or fans of the band and not necessarily enticing new customers.

That all said, it is pretty cool. In La Casa de Fronobulax we are watching more and more concerts and one of the things we do is identify guitar brands being played and cheer for the Guilds.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hard to say really. Subliminal messages can be very effective. What I found so interesting, that the F-512 (someone correct me if I'm wrong), that it was displayed so prominently, almost as a participant in the interview. So if it was sort of of intentional, would it not be wise, not to be too obvious.

Didn't I see, not long ago, that Guild had declared the F-512 their Flagship?

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A Guild sighting during Super Bowl half time? Wouldn't that be something!

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hard to say really. Subliminal messages can be very effective. What I found so interesting, that the F-512 (someone correct me if I'm wrong), that it was displayed so prominently, almost as a participant in the interview. So if it was sort of of intentional, would it not be wise, not to be too obvious.

If the 12 string Guild in the Photo still of the video in the first post is what you are referring to it appears to be a F412 Arched Maple back and not the F512 which was the Flatback rosewood version. If this is an Oxnard Built Guitar (Which I seriously Doubt as they have not started production on the Traditional series yet to my knowledge) It would be called a F512 Maple as that is the new Moniker they plan on using according to their sales literature in place of the original F412 Designation.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

You did but I apparently didn't. If you had asked me what the last official flagship designation was, I would have said D55 (old nomenclature). I guess I wasn't paying attention :)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had not seen him with a F-412 yet, but it isn't the first time Chris Martin is seen with a Guild, below with a kind of painted top F-50 back in 2011 at the Hope for Haiti concert.

chris%20martin%2025jan10%2004.jpg

There is also a video of that concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VshVGC9E3I

And same F-50 in 2009:

Ralf

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes, but it'd be with Coldplay. :ambivalence:

While I'm not excited about the superbowl halftime show this year with Coldplay, It would be a far better outcome than having to watch Katy Perry with a Guild.:highly_amused:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
While I'm not excited about the superbowl halftime show this year with Coldplay, It would be a far better outcome than having to watch Katy Perry with a Guild.:highly_amused:

I'm not a fan of either of them TX, but I will say that Katy looks better with the sound off.