RIP Paul Kantner

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I had a Crosby bootleg with "Mountain Song", "Is it Really Monday", and "Wayfaring Stranger". Good stuff. And you can't go wrong with Crosby's first solo album where all of these people (and more) join him.

Pretty cool how Kantner, Crosby, Nash, Garcia, Slick, etc., etc, all hung out and played together. Young, rich, creative, plenty of dope, and plenty of songs. It's really sad to see them go, and of course, it reminds us all of our own mortality.

walrus

gilded

Reaction score
Sounds like he got back on his feet after one heart attack and went out playing again. That's pretty cool. Louis Armstrong did the same thing. Near the end, a Doctor told him it was bad on his heart to play trumpet. He said, "okay" and went on playing. I had a music friend who passed away recently. It kind of jolted a mutual friend, who told me, "Man, the last time he played was the Last Time He Played!"

Lots of heroes, lots of people to admire. It kinda makes you want to go find some young people and show 'em some good chords. Isn't that called Passing the Torch?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Lots of heroes, lots of people to admire. It kinda makes you want to go find some young people and show 'em some good chords. Isn't that called Passing the Torch?
I bet Paul woulda preferred to think of it as "Yeasting the mash"...
:sneakiness:

Last edited:

Aristera

Reaction score
R.I.P. Paul Kantner.

JSams22.jpg

pk.jpg
PKend.JPG

Pkams.JPG

Ralf

Is that a F-612 or F-512?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's a very well worn F512, James. Know anything about it Hans?
Think of beauty isn't it? How often do you see a well-played 12-string! Love it! And how about those miles and miles of bookmatched, straight-grain rosewood. I'm gonna' bet on F-512. Looks big even in Paul's hands, but I don't see the bespoke F-612 checkered binding on the headstock.

jthrel

Reaction score

I could feel the presence of Paul Kantner while listening to this demo of "We Can Be Together". Thanks for posting.

Apparently a bootleg CD was released in 2001 entitled Jefferson Airplane. The Volunteers Sessions (the source of the "Together" track) but seems to be out of print. Demos of such classics from the era are on my must-have list. Please contact me if you locate a new or used copy of the Volunteers Sessions that is available.

Peace - Out

Al

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Is that a F-612 or F-512?
As Sandy said, from the look of the headstock I would say it is a F-512. But it has the special fretboard inlays and the snowflakes on the bridge like on the F-612. But other F-512s had those feastures as well. (like Barbara's)

Here's the guitar in question in action: Interesting little detail: at around minute 1:55 he breaks a string and switches to the block inlay F-512!

I also found a HD resolution video with the guitar in question, but still don't see the typical F-612 binding on body and headstock, so still believe it is a F-512 special:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLMNANtesGM

Ralf

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am afraid that this sort of thing may be a trend. Aging rockers hitting the end of the tour. Considering all the stuff many of them ingested for long periods, I wonder if many will get far beyond 70.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great post Ralf. Thanks for that!

Found this recent shot of Paul playing a very well worn F512. Might be the same guitar.

12592414_10208687298365781_669453286198294017_n.jpg

Last edited:

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Well guys and gals, I just found out that Signe Anderson also passed on January 28th. What a sad sad day.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Al, does that Guild he's playing look like it used to be a 12 string??

Yeah, they just weren't smart enough to cut the excess off ;]

Everytime I see that video of Grace singing about somebody to love, I can't think about anybody but her. Hopefully this isn't an offensive comment. She's really powerful.