RIP Glenn Frey

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I am sorry to hear it, though I know he had struggled with health for some time. Take It Easy, Glenn.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
With Hotel California alone, he contributed to making this world a better place..... arguably one of the best all time songs ever written. RIP buddy and thanks.

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Man, there is just too much sad goin' on. I didn't even know he had health problems. I loved the Eagles. Real trend setters they were. Still listen to their tunes often

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh no! So sad...Another legend gone...I am happy I still saw him in 2011 with the Eagles in Munich. What a great guy... R.I.P....

frey.jpg

Source: Neilson Barnard, Getty Images

Ralf

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
Wow!!! I've been so busy I hadn't heard. He left behind some great music that's for sure. RIP Glenn

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Not really an Eagles fan, but that's still sad news. Chris, you are right, Bowie and Frey in a week - not good.

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
RIP Glenn, I can't believe he's gone! This was one of my all time favorite writer's and performers. Together with Henley they were absolute Magic. They knew when to keep things simple and when to let them run wild. I grew up listening to their music for the most part without them performing during their 14 year "Break" as the Eagles. Even though they weren't together their music was still a part of the soundtrack of my youth. The first time I heard Hotel California was at my Buddies house while he was going through his parents records and I'll never forget it, think I was 11-12. I graduated High School in 1994 and got a chance to see them on the "Hell Freezes Over" tour. After school I traveled all over the northern Hemisphere working on everything from Navy Boilers to Hydroflouric Acid units, Paper Machines to Nuclear Power Plants and never once did I get in my Vehicle to drive from Texas to California or from God knows where to New Jersey without an Eagles CD in my truck. Glenn you will be missed! Thank you for so many Memories and God sent Harmonies.

I don't know about you guys, but 2016 is really getting off to a Rough Start. Like mentioned earlier, Lemmy at Christmas, Bowie and Frey in a week with Pete as well, There must be one hell of a party in Heaven tonight.

TX

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
With Hotel California alone, he contributed to making this world a better place..... arguably one of the best all time songs ever written. RIP buddy and thanks.

Fighting words :)

I never liked the Eagles but several years ago I started paying attention to songwriting (not performance) and came to appreciate songwriters who could tell a good story. Since the Eagles seemed to be in constant rotation on my "Plan B" radio station I had to listen and realized they could tell a story. So thank you Glenn. R.I.P.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's sad that he'd died, but I probably shouldn't have read Don Felder's book, or watched the recent Eagles documentary.

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
It's sad that he'd died, but I probably shouldn't have read Don Felder's book, or watched the recent Eagles documentary.
I'm with you there Sandy, He didn't seem like a very nice person in either of those. Totally changed my perception of him and the Eagles.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm with you there Sandy, He didn't seem like a very nice person in either of those. Totally changed my perception of him and the Eagles.

What's really sad is that he was massively successful, and had everything to be happy and even benevolent about, and chose not to be.

Neal

Reaction score
Just one person's experience, but Glenn and his wife have been tremendously nice to and supportive of my daughter, as she has made her transition into adulthood in NYC.

My daughter and Glenn's daughter are friends from college, and the Freys have welcomed her into their home, invited her to concerts, included her and my wife in karaoke, even sent unsolicited tickets for my wife and me to see the Eagles (front row!) when they were here in Charlottesville last summer. The best vocal performance I have ever witnessed, by the way, and I have seen a lot of live music.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but based on the quality of the daughter he raised, and how well he treated her friends, he's alright by me.

gilded

Reaction score
That's good to know, Neal. I really appreciate your sharing that information with us. I'm glad he had a chance to enjoy a family.

Maybe part of you has to be ruthless to get to the top and stay there. I also think he was as hard on himself musically as he was with the rest of the band and narrowed his own singing role so Henley's voice could expand and become the vocal brand of the band.

Lotta things happening at once back in the good old days; money, fame, girls, big egos, etc. Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to say Huge Egos! How could it not have blown up?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's good to know, Neal. I really appreciate your sharing that information with us. I'm glad he had a chance to enjoy a family.

Maybe part of you has to be ruthless to get to the top and stay there. I also think he was as hard on himself musically as he was with the rest of the band and narrowed his own singing role so Henley's voice could expand and become the vocal brand of the band.

Lotta things happening at once back in the good old days; money, fame, girls, big egos, etc. Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to say Huge Egos! How could it not have blown up?

Don't forget all the drugs, Harry! I know it's bad form to speak ill of the dead, but that book and that documentary really left a bad taste in my mouth.