Thunderstar Bass Amp - any info on what I just bought?

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Amp arrived, it is in spectacular condition, the cabinet is a 2x15 and the sound is fantastic. It is a perfect no-frills pedal platform.

My only issue is the odd voicing of the 3-position switch that is labeled with an open circle, a double circle and a filled in circle.

The open circle setting is crazy bright, the double circle is dark, and the filled in circle is super-dark. On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is the brightest and 10 is the darkest, the three settings would be at 2, 7 and 9. I found that using the middle position and pushing the treble knob to about 3:00 was a decent compromise, but I kind of wish at least one of the channels was voiced more in the middle of the scale.

But that's a small gripe.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Amp arrived, it is in spectacular condition, the cabinet is a 2x15 and the sound is fantastic. It is a perfect no-frills pedal platform.

My only issue is the odd voicing of the 3-position switch that is labeled with an open circle, a double circle and a filled in circle.

The open circle setting is crazy bright, the double circle is dark, and the filled in circle is super-dark. On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is the brightest and 10 is the darkest, the three settings would be at 2, 7 and 9. I found that using the middle position and pushing the treble knob to about 3:00 was a decent compromise, but I kind of wish at least one of the channels was voiced more in the middle of the scale.

But that's a small gripe.
Check the resistors on those. They may have drifted out of spec, and may get more even tone balances on replacement.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
What speakers are in it?
No idea. In fact, I'm hesitant to break it open and look until after I get a good feel for it. Right now, I really like how they sound. If I open it up too soon, I risk getting that info stuck in my head and the next thing you know I'm going through a whole bunch of different sets of replacement speakers. I'm going to let this sit a while and tinker later.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Check the resistors on those. They may have drifted out of spec, and may get more even tone balances on replacement.

Sounds like good advice, but this is WAY outside my comfort zone, so I would have to drop it off somewhere.

I wish I had a local amp person to go through it. What's worse is LA amp people are notoriously slow. Like the speakers, I'm going to play this for a few weeks/months before I lose it for weeks on end.