Hello and a few questions about my Guild M-20 1962 Hoboken

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello, congrats and welcome! I have the same guitar here and would recommend John Pearse 550SL strings (11s). Martin Retro 12s sound great too but they seem to be too much tension and I'd only use those for drop tuning. The Martin retro 11s are a thin set and can really only be played with a pick (for me at least). I would also recommend the Oasis humidifier, and use as needed.

Arty

Reaction score
Hello, congrats and welcome! I have the same guitar here and would recommend John Pearse 550SL strings (11s). Martin Retro 12s sound great too but they seem to be too much tension and I'd only use those for drop tuning. The Martin retro 11s are a thin set and can really only be played with a pick (for me at least). I would also recommend the Oasis humidifier, and use as needed.

Hi mavuser and thank you! Do you think these strings would be good for fingerpicking? (John Pearse 550SL)

Cheers, Arty.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi mavuser and thank you! Do you think these strings would be good for fingerpicking? (John Pearse 550SL)

Cheers, Arty.

my opinion is yes, but I mostly play electric. Maybe others will chime in. I think that guitar in general is good for fingerpicking. I have a theory about these guitars and strings, the enemy is higher tension. But too little and you can't fingerpick at all. I find the John Pearse 550SL's the best for me, personally. No question.

Arty

Reaction score
Hi guys, what capo do you use for your Guild M-20? Shubb, Planet Waves, kyser, Dun*lop...

Cheers, Arty.