Hello and a few questions about my Guild M-20 1962 Hoboken

Arty

Reaction score
Hello, first things first. I'm new here. I'm called Arty and I just love old Guild's guitars. I like all types of vintage guitars: acoustic guitars, electric.. I recently bought a Guild M-20 1962 (built in the Guild’s factory in Hoboken) and I have several questions about this one.
  • Does anyone know what kind/species of mahogany was used to build that guitar?
  • What strings are the best for a Guild M-20 1962
  • Do I really need to use a guitar humidifier for this guitar? if the answer is yes, Which humidifier do you use for this guitar?

Thanks

jgmaute

Reaction score
Hello, first things first. I'm new here. I'm called Arty and I just love old Guild's guitars. I like all types of vintage guitars: acoustic guitars, electric.. I recently bought a Guild M-20 1962 (built in the Guild’s factory in Hoboken) and I have several questions about this one.
  • Does anyone know what kind/species of mahogany was used to build that guitar?
  • What strings are the best for a Guild M-20 1962
  • Do I really need to use a guitar humidifier for this guitar? if the answer is yes, Which humidifier do you use for this guitar?

Thanks

Welcome to LTG Arty. Love old Guilds, unfortunately when I had my M-20 I never could get used to the 1 5/8" neck so it moved to New Zealand where it's owned by another forum member. I used D'Addario extra light Phosphor Bronze on mine when I had it but you'll probably hear other options from other M-20 players and ultimately go with what feels and sounds good to you. I've got no idea about the kind of mahogany. I live on the east coast of SC, a five minute bike ride from the ocean. I don't need to humidify my guitars. Whether or not you need to humidify will depend on where you live, if your house gets dry in the winter when the heat is on, and if the guitar was dried out when you got it.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Arty, welcome to LTG!! M-20's are great Guilds and especially those old Hoboken ones! To answer the question about humidifying we'll need to know the general area of the world you live, and also what you do for heating/cooling during the summer/winter months. Outside humidity is very different from inside the house. A hygrometer can be picked up pretty cheaply and will give you information you need. :encouragement:

guildman63

Reaction score
Today I played a used M-120 for the first time in my local Guitar Center and I was very impressed. I may have to consider a new M-20.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Arty! I also say it's Honduran Hog. The African mahoganys weren't common yet, and Honduran was readily available and the norm.
I've been using D'Addario's Custom Lights 80/20 on my '61 and really like them. Of course I prefer 80/20 to Phosphor in general; and I think the M-20 will make any decent string sing.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG, Arty!
I'd like to get my hands on a nice M20 but until I do, maybe you could post a pic or three of yours just to tantalize me. Can't believe no one's mentioned pics yet, since we love 'em!

Cheers,
Joe

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
WELCOME TO LTG, Arty!
I'd like to get my hands on a nice M20 but until I do, maybe you could post a pic or three of yours just to tantalize me. Can't believe no one's mentioned pics yet, since we love 'em!

Cheers,
Joe
I think your hands would implode going from your F112-6 to an M-20, Joe. Just a wee bit of different nut size. :highly_amused:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
How much and how often and even IF you need to humidify your guitar depends on the relative humidity you have where you store your guitar. Most wood things like the RH to be near 40-45%. If it goes lower than that for extended periods, you should try to add moisture back. So, it really depends where you are. I live in a very dry place. RH below 20% is pretty common for long periods. I keep humidifiers in the the cases with all my guitars. How well each type of humidifier works is a long post. I did some long experiments, if you are bored and what to know about them.

If you MUST keep your guitar(s) out of the case, because those small things you stick IN your guitar do not work well enough in a dry room. You should get a room humidifier. There are at least 3 types of those and LOTS of brands and sizes.

Arty

Reaction score
Wow, so many answers. Thank you very much, guys! and thanks for the wonderful welcome and information you have given here. :applause:
Well, everything is perfectly clear now; species of mahogany, strings and the humidifier. About the use of the humidifier.. I'm from and live in Europe, more specifically in a town called Seville (Spain). Maybe this website helps you to know about the type of weather in this town http://www.seville.climatemps.com/.
So, do you guys think I should use a humidifier? Chill out, I'll heed your advice and I'll buy a hygrometer to check it out myself. :peaceful:
I still have not received the guitar as I bought the Guild M-20 a week ago, it is still traveling from North America to my home. So obviously I can not take any picture of it yet but I can upload some photos taken by the seller. (a member of acousticguitarforum).

18CR7s.jpg

jqgj5i.jpg

aODwVW.jpg

OoaYdG.jpg

0n6eRk.jpg

NLgz7T.jpg

Cheers, Arty.

jcwu

Reaction score
I've never tried one of these all-hog smaller-bodied guitars, for some reason the thought of it never appealed to me, but your pictures are starting to make me itch to try one.

Nice!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
About the use of the humidifier.. I'm from and live in Europe, more specifically in a town called Seville (Spain). Maybe this website helps you to know about the type of weather in this town http://www.seville.climatemps.com/.
So, do you guys think I should use a humidifier? Chill out, I'll heed your advice and I'll buy a hygrometer to check it out myself. :peaceful:
Cheers, Arty.
HI Arty welcome aboard!
Ideal RH for guitars is supposed to 45-55%, some say 40-50.
If I read your graph right, gray line, Seville's at the top of that range during the annual low in July.
You don't need to humidify, you need to think about the late spring/early fall periods when RH above 60% might coincide with extended periods (say 3 days or longer to be conservative) of high temps (over 34 C).
High temps combined with high humidity can actually soften the traditional hideglue Guild used in making their guitars, so glue joints might be at risk of pulling apart.
I repeat I'm being conservative (erring on the safe side) with my estimates of high temps and humidity, for the sake of "better safe than sorry"
I'm also thinking Seville must have a rich community of guitar makers/luthiers who are familiar with that issue and could give you further insight.
But then again the stress issue is nowhere near as large in classical guitars as in steel-strings, but maybe a little more important in true flamenco builds.

Last edited:

Arty

Reaction score
Thanks guys. adorshki, very good information. I will contact a local luthier and see what he can do. In any case I've read about a humidifier called the Humidipak that it automatically maintains the optimal relative humidity level (at least they say it works). Has anyone used this product?

The more modern guitar humidifiers use a gel that not only emits humidity, but also absorbs it if the humidity gets too high. This technology was first developed for cigar humidors, and now it’s available for guitars. Planet Waves makes a great humidity control system called the Humidipak that uses this technology. I’d also recommend using a hygrometer to measure the humidity.
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Fighting_the_Humidity_Battle

Cheers, Arty.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. adorshki, very good information. I will contact a local luthier and see what he can do. In any case I've read about a humidifier called the Humidipak that it automatically maintains the optimal relative humidity level (at least they say it works). Has anyone used this product?
Right, forgot about that stuff (the gel itself), been around for a while now, and I think at least a couple of guys here do like the Humidipak.
I'd feel safe with it, I'm just lucky to live in a generally ideal year-round climate.

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When you do get it, Arty, first thing you will need to do is turn the truss rod cover right side up. The AGF gremlins seem to be confused as to what a shield looks like.

(TRC Police. Keeping Guild lovers safe from upside down TRCs since 1953!)

Arty

Reaction score
Right, forgot about that stuff (the gel itself), been around for a while now, and I think at least a couple of guys here do like the Humidipak.
I'd feel safe with it, I'm just lucky to live in a generally ideal year-round climate.

It sounds good, I'll definitely try it out myself and let you guys know the results here.

When you do get it, Arty, first thing you will need to do is turn the truss rod cover right side up. The AGF gremlins seem to be confused as to what a shield looks like.

(TRC Police. Keeping Guild lovers safe from upside down TRCs since 1953!)

Haha hilarious Chris, I can say now that TRC Police department is always alert and watching over us. :glee: So the first thing i'll do is turn the truss rod cover right side up, I would not like getting any tickets from the TRC Police.

Cheers, Arty.