RIP Pete Huttlinger

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh jeeze, that's just heartbreaking! He triumphed again and again against hellish odds. If anyone deserved to stick around, it was Pete. Sad day, indeed. :upset:

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Pete was a gifted guitarist and a wonderful fellow. He is missed already, though we can all draw inspiration from the will that man had to live. I am humbled by the grace he demonstrated under nearly incomprehensible circumstances.

tommym

Reaction score
Rest In Peace, Pete.....

Learned of Pete years ago via Homespun Tapes.

https://www.homespun.com/whats-new-at-homespun/pete-huttlinger-1961-2016/

I thought myself some of John Denver's songs decades ago via ear. For the most part, I got it all wrong, but had a lot of fun trying. Then I ended up for some reason just collecting (as in investing in) very high end guitars and not playing them much if not at all. Pete's Videos / DVD's from Homespun Tapes change that. I dusted off one of my cheapest guitars (a Guild Hog / Sitka F-30) and gave it one more shot at learning how to play guitar. Now, I spend most of my spare time playing guitar, and have been selling off most of my high end guitar collection as they became more of a time consuming maintenance distraction than anything else.

There have been many great musicians, but many of them never take the time to pass on their knowledge their music / techniques / nuances to the next generation. Many don't know how to teach! Pete was a natural at teaching. This is where Pete's Videos, DVDs, etc. will make him accessible world wide for generations to come.

Thank you Pete!

Tommy

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I listened to Pete's "The Santa Rita Connection" CD this evening as a way to celebrate his life and music. For me, he is right up there with Doc Watson and Chet Atkins for his imaginative arrangements, beautiful sense of melody and harmony, and his technical skill on the instrument... a gifted musician and a courageous person. He will be missed.

Bill

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's an amazing video.

I never had a chance to meet or hear Pete, but my father and stepmother knew him a bit, had him over for dinner once or twice on Martha's Vineyard, and she played at a uke jam that he sometimes attended. They say that he was a wonderful, amazing man.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was just thinking about our own frosty's rendition of "Josie" (Steely Dan), and I realized it was based on Pete Huttlinger's arrangement.

I found this on youtube, which was a little difficult to hear, but lots of fun... I think Bill had a link to another version of this, but anyway I just wanted to (re)post it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17dtwjr5R6E

I spent a half hour looking at Pete's stuff on youtube, and it's just amazing how clearly the guy loved to play and how crazy talented he was. RIP, Pete.

Opsimath

Reaction score
Coincidentally just last night I watched (again) the Pete Huttlinger and Tony Polecastro interview, then watched a few of Mr. Huttlinger's videos on YouTube. What an incredible talent. His guitar camps sounds like they were a lot of fun, too, and I would venture to guess that people came away knowing a lot more than they did going in.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Pete told a story that early in his career he was playing nylon-string a gig in a restaurant...lot of people present but not a lot paying attention to him as he played; during the course of the night, he started to play Josie, and said you could tell who all the guitarists in the crowd were because they all cocked their heads to listen and now pay attention...he gets through the intro chords and feels the vibe "Yeah, that's pretty good, but what else ya got kid?." As he breaks into the song the heads start nodding and he figures he has 'em...and as luck would have it, he looks through a hallway window to a corridor running by the dining room and he sees Billy Gibbons standing there listening too! Just as he is going "Oh!" to himself, the Reverend raises his hand in that thumb-and-finger salute of his. Made his evening!

Erin still has his website up, and there is a lot of his work transcribed in either books or single songs.

Here is a link to what I think is his last "Tune Tuesday" video on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn3rQ93KOdM

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pete-Huttlinger/7439332199

Last edited: