NAMM 2016: Guild Guitars releases USA-made M-20 and D-20

bobouz

Reaction score
No Facebook for me either, so another thank you.

Wonderful to see these guitars finally come to life!

Sal

Reaction score
Beautiful! I love the hog burst. I love them all. A very classy look that will age well too. I want!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A few more pictures I found: (Source)

The versions with electronics come with an L.R. Baggs Element: http://www.lrbaggs.com/pickups/element-acoustic-guitar-pickup

1-5.jpg
2.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guess they are no longer using the DTAR? Also hope those aren't the same tuners that shipped on some of the Orpheums. I don't know if it is the lack of binding on the dreadnoughts or what but form the side the D20 looks deeper than previous Guild Dreads as well.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sadly...or perhaps not, if you had troubles...DTAR is no more. Supposedly Seymour Duncan has taken everything home with him and will reintroduce the line under his name.

Really nice stuff, but I guess service problems were real.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the pics and video too from NAMM Ralf.

The D and M20 look cheap as heck with that satin finish. The matte black hued head stocks look akin to recording king Dirty 30s.

The MIC imports look way better.

I am really glad I own an old D20 (D25BR), as I will not be buying the modern version. But a lot of players will so hoping for a good year for Guild overall. Looks encouraging overall.

I would like one of those import 12s, tgat looked awesome. Big arched maple back.

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The MIC imports look way better.

Five new affordable arched back models join Guild’s Westerly Collection.... dreadnought (D-240E), concert (M-240E), orchestra (OM-240CE and OM-240E), and jumbo 12-string (F-2512E Maple). These five guitars feature Guild’s AP-1 pickup, bone nuts and saddles, rosewood bridges, and fingerboards, tortoiseshell pickguards, fully bound bodies, mother-of-pearl appointments....

Am I reading this right that "street price ranges from $399-$499" for these archbacks? I have several guitars built in China, and frankly, I've never been disappointed. I'm not really in this market, but I expect these are pretty nice guitars for that kind of money....

BoneDigger

Reaction score
$1200 to $1300 seems like a lot for a "street price" on the mahogany models. I really like my Guild D120 Westerly series and now that I have a D25M that is being fixed (1973 model), I doubt I'll be willing to spend that kind of dough. I really hope these turn out to be phenomenal guitars. If they are, I might have to change my mind and get one anyway.

Todd

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
$1200 to $1300 seems like a lot for a "street price" on the mahogany models. Todd
Thought that was "list" on the D20? For comparison, that's only about $50.00 more than what my D25 listed for in '96.
Even if it's $100.00 more, I say that's pretty darn cheap when you factor in 20 years of inflation.
Or am I wrong about the current list prices?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thought that was "list" on the D20? For comparison, that's only about $50.00 more than what my D25 listed for in '96.
Even if it's $100.00 more, I say that's pretty darn cheap when you factor in 20 years of inflation.
Or am I wrong about the current list prices?

no, i think those are street. I recall reading that the street price would be around 1300. hope I am wrong. to me, those guitars look like street price of 800-1000.
else anyone of us can get a used Westerly Guild for this price, even for an F30.

Br1ck

Reaction score
I think $1300 street is right on the money and very reasonable for a US made guitar with a warranty. I'll venture 75% of all buyers only want a new guitar. New and shiny is what they want. Why would you think Guild could make a guitar for the same price as some imports?

What they need is to be very good from the start. They have a very uphill climb ahead of them.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
$1200 to $1300 seems like a lot for a "street price" on the mahogany models.
Compare it to the Martin 15 series and it sounds right!
The Martin 15 series is way cheaper done, so with the M-20 and D-20 you get a much better Made in USA guitar from Guild. Even if I have not touched them yet I trust in Ren.

EDIT: I have to take that comment back about the "way cheaper done". I thought all the Martin 15 series have those odd Stratabond laminated necks and Richlite bridges and fingerboards. I was wrong.

Ralf

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Compare it to the Martin 15 series and it sounds right! The Martin 15 series is way cheaper done, so with the M-20 and D-20 you get a much better Made in USA guitar from Guild. Even if I have not touched them yet I trust in Ren.
Ralf

No offense Ralf, but I'd be surprised if either of these were as good as Martin's 15 series. The D20 would have to be awful good to be better than the last D15 I played, and that might happen at some point, but likely not out of the box at Oxnard.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I was shopping for my FIRST Guild, back in January 1973, I was deciding between a flat-backed all mahogany D-25 at $225 and its spruce topped counterpart D-35, at $265 (prices sans case). The D-35 won out...

But, just for kicks and giggles, I ran that 1973 D-25 price thru an inflation calculator to translate it into 2015 dollars (the calculator I found on-line ends with 2015)... the result was $1201. Draw your own conclusions...

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No offense Ralf, but I'd be surprised if either of these were as good as Martin's 15 series. The D20 would have to be awful good to be better than the last D15 I played, and that might happen at some point, but likely not out of the box at Oxnard.
Let's hope, Sandy. I'll bet the D-20 is pretty darned good! :)