Orpheum 12 comparison

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
This was a really good question that I received via PM over the holidays. I thought it was worth a thread:

Question said:
I know you own both a F512 and an Orpheum 000 Slot Head Rosewood 12 String. I was curious to hear your opinion on how they compare and differ in tone. [I am used to] Hog guitars and I have never played a rosewood Orpheum so I'm not really sure what to expect. Does your Orpheum 12 string have that Orf "Magic" and amazing response that they are known for? I have watched the summer NAMM video where the guy doing the interview plays a RW Orf 12 fret into his vocal mic for around 20 seconds but it is really hard to get a feel for the sound with that guy just beating and strumming on it. [ ... ] Just curious to hear how you think the Orf 12 and the 512 match up and differ.

IMO, the tonal comparison being asked about is really not the right focus. I'm not sure if you guys saw the thread here, but you should read the whole thing. It's great and quite fair. http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...lotted-Headstock-12-String-Rosewood-Orchestra

In particular, Ralf and I (the two owners of these rosewood versions... Toni owns a mahogany version) discussed tone just before this post: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...od-Orchestra&p=1644978&viewfull=1#post1644978

The Orpheum 12 feels really great in your hands, and it's just a wonderful small-bodied instrument. It has a wonderful voice too. It inspired me for a little while when the New Hartford shop closed and I made some major life changes. Thus, it is a permanent memory for me that marks an era.

All that said, I have to say this is apples and oranges. I am thrilled with the Orpheum, but the F-512 is my benchmark and probably always will be. I cannot imagine (and I have not played) another 12 string that rocks my world like the F-512.

I had my F-212XL Standard out on its stand for the holidays and have enjoyed playing that. It's all a mood thing for me. That one, in particular, is all about New Hartford and the guys that built it in its "heyday." I enjoyed having that out before putting it away this morning. The Orpheum will be back on the stand this afternoon. :)

Time for some string changes.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
This was a really good question that I received via PM over the holidays. I thought it was worth a thread:

IMO, the tonal comparison being asked about is really not the right focus. I'm not sure if you guys saw the thread here, but you should read the whole thing. It's great and quite fair. http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...lotted-Headstock-12-String-Rosewood-Orchestra

In particular, Ralf and I (the two owners of these rosewood versions... Toni owns a mahogany version) discussed tone just before this post: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...od-Orchestra&p=1644978&viewfull=1#post1644978

The Orpheum 12 feels really great in your hands, and it's just a wonderful small-bodied instrument. It has a wonderful voice too. It inspired me for a little while when the New Hartford shop closed and I made some major life changes. Thus, it is a permanent memory for me that marks an era.

All that said, I have to say this is apples and oranges. I am thrilled with the Orpheum, but the F-512 is my benchmark and probably always will be. I cannot imagine (and I have not played) another 12 string that rocks my world like the F-512.

I had my F-212XL Standard out on its stand for the holidays and have enjoyed playing that. It's all a mood thing for me. That one, in particular, is all about New Hartford and the guys that built it in its "heyday." I enjoyed having that out before putting it away this morning. The Orpheum will be back on the stand this afternoon. :)

Time for some string changes.

Awful hard to compare the two no doubt Charlie, just as it is to compare the 12 fret and 14 fret OM Orpheums. To my ears at least, the 14 fret mahogany OM sounds (lots) better than the 12 fret, although I only played the rosewood 12 fret. Also, there really is nothing quite like a jumbo Guild 12 string.

Sounds like the neck rest will be getting a wee workout, huh?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
96 strings, no waiting, Sandy. :)

I'm curious Chazmo, Have you had any problems with the factory Orpheum slot head tuners like some of us have had with the Regular Orpheum paddle head Tuners? If so have you found an acceptable replacement set? I think LateStart bought Neals old 12 fret 6 string slot head OM rosewood Orpheum recently and I remember he was looking for some replacements but never heard how it all turned out.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
No, no problem with the tuners, tx. For a couple of months I was switching to alternate tunings a lot, but again no trouble.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not sure if you guys saw the thread here, but you should read the whole thing. It's great and quite fair. http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...lotted-Headstock-12-String-Rosewood-Orchestra.
Unfortunally all pictures are gone that I made, the picture hosting site (minus.com) seems to be dead since about 4 month now and most of my LTG pictures just show empty spaces therefore. I tried to contact them since 4 month now with no responses, just terrible.
In general I probably would prefer the F-512, even if I don't have one. But I played a few. Also who knows if a Orpheum 12 string will be build again in Oxnard. The 12 string Orpheum with only 12 frets is a pretty special kind of guitar and probably just for a limited audience.
Ralf