not picking on the folks from Michigan, but...............

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Northern AZ is quite chilly this time of year. Flagstaff gets more snow than Wisconsin, often.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The contrast between northern and southern Arizona is similar to north and south Louisiana, eastern and western Washington/Oregon, etc.
I could go on.... :wink:

Joe

Interesting, I had no idea northern LA would be cold

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Unfortunately, given the lack of Geography education in schools today, this may be exactly what many people think!

walrus

guildman63

Reaction score
Interesting, I had no idea northern LA would be cold

It's all relative. It's colder in northern LA than it is in southern LA, but northern LA is still MUCH warmer than New England, upper NY state, and the northern states like Michigan, ND, Wisconsin, Montana, etc. Southern Ohio was considerably warmer than northern Ohio when I lived there as a kid, but we still needed jackets, hats and gloves most winter days.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
As long as you're not from the Flint area - what f^%&-ing mess!

walrus

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I take it Alaska, being a giant ice cube, just isn't even worth mentioning....

I think they stuck it up there and labeled it "who cares."

I laughed seeing most of Canada as "unsettled Canadian territory." Then I noticed that I'm living in "unsettled U.S. territory." Then I laughed some more.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think they stuck it up there and labeled it "who cares."

I laughed seeing most of Canada as "unsettled Canadian territory." Then I noticed that I'm living in "unsettled U.S. territory." Then I laughed some more.

One interpretation of the Fenian Raids was that Irish nationalists were trying to invade/capture Canada in order to hold it hostage and swap Canada for Ireland with Great Britain.

idealassets

Reaction score
I now live in Michigan after being in about 10 other states in a 35 year work career, and before that I grew up in MI. The map may be quite humorous, but many other locations definitely have their plusses beyond what good old MI has to offer. Don't be too envious that you don't have snow for 4-5 months of the year and that you don't have a state full of "snow birds" that defect and live elsewhere except the summer time.

If Paul Simon or Art Garfunkel actually took 4 days to hitch hike to Saginaw they are the only ones who ever came back with bragging rights to put into a song, except for Lefty Frizzel who "Found My Love in Saginaw, Michigan". The odds are stacked against it. But other than going to downtown Saginaw to view just a few abandoned buildings, PM me and I can actually fill you in on some actually nice locations to see that may be one of a kind all around the state.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
If Paul Simon or Art Garfunkel actually took 4 days to hitch hike to Saginaw they are the only ones who ever came back with bragging rights to put into a song, except for Lefty Frizzel who "Found My Love in Saginaw, Michigan". The odds are stacked against it. But other than going to downtown Saginaw to view just a few abandoned buildings, PM me and I can actually fill you in on some actually nice locations to see that may be one of a kind all around the state.

Michigan in pop culture reminds me of a literary magazine (at least everyone said they read it for the articles) decades ago that featured "The Girls of Kalamazoo".